CHURCH OF ST PETER AND ST PAUL

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II*

List Entry Number: 1377573

Date first listed: 11-Jun-1958

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST PETER AND ST PAUL, CHURCH HILL

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST PETER AND ST PAUL
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1377573 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 20-Apr-2019 at 02:08:57.

Location

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST PETER AND ST PAUL, CHURCH HILL

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Surrey

District: Tandridge (District Authority)

Parish: Nutfield

National Grid Reference: TQ 30920 50870

Details

TQ 35SW NUTFIELD C.P. CHURCH HILL

2/255 Church of St.Peter and 11/6/58 St. Paul

GV II*

Church. C13 with tower rebuilt to top in 1786, restored in 1882 by W.O. Milne. Coursed stone to base of tower, rubblestone above with repairs in brick to top. Rendered and pebbledashed south aisle and nave with stone dressings. Plain tiled roofs, Horsham slabs to chancel and wooden shingles on spire. Aisled nave with porch to south and vestry to south west. Tower and spire to west end, chancel and priests vestry to east and north. Two stage battlemented tower with turret on north east corner and angle buttressing. Two-light foil headed windows to top stage, one light Victorian window to first stage. Perpendicular style Victorian window on west face. Renewed Victorian windows to south, Perpendicular style to north aisle. L C14 and 1 C15 window remain on south chancel wall. West door in moulded surround, south door planked with strapwork hinges in gabled half glazed timbered porch; quatrefoil decoration to arch spandrels.

Interior:- 3 bay nave arcades, C13 on round piers with corbelled arches. C14 corbelled chancel arch on attached piers with moulded capitals. Blocked C13 arch to north Chapel. Continuous mouldings to tall impressive tower arch. Rubble stone walling revealed in chancel.

Fittings:- C15 arched piscina on south chancel wall. Rood screen - wood part C16 part C19 restoration. Jacobean Pulpit with foliage and band decoration on stone stem, part C17 part C19. C15 stone octagonal font bowl on stem of 1665 with quatrefoil decoration and inscription on stem reading "HH TW 1665".

Stained Glass:- East window 1890 by Edward Burne Jones produced by Morris and Co. Good example with deep greens and blues. Further window by Burne Jones in south east of window of south aisle. Dedicated to Mary French.

Monuments:- South chancel wall: Brasses. Standing figures of man and wife circa 15 inches tall. Stone plaque above to Benjamin Hollingsworth dated 1755. Monument to Robert of Fulham. Rector '305-28. Chest under arched canopy with corbel and roll mouldings. Foliated cross incised into Tomb lid. North chancel wall: Rectangular tablet to Charles Cullman, died 1651. Stone with moulded edge. Shield above with Coat of Arms.

South Aisle wall: Old weathervane from Tower survives. Iron. Dated 1707, with inscription in cut letters "IBRC". North Aisle wall: Monument to John Peter Elige. By Lupton 1814. Grey stone stele on white plinth with flanking scrolls and apron guttae. Mourning cherub above plinth on symbols of Army Surgeons craft - Cannon, Shields etc.

Listing NGR: TQ3092050870

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 287496

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing