FELBRIDGE COUNTY PRIMARY SCHOOL

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1377602
Date first listed:
20-Feb-1991
Statutory Address:
FELBRIDGE COUNTY PRIMARY SCHOOL, CRAWLEY DOWN ROAD

Map

© Crown Copyright and database right 2021. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2021. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1377602.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 23-Jun-2021 at 04:17:42.

Location

Statutory Address:
FELBRIDGE COUNTY PRIMARY SCHOOL, CRAWLEY DOWN ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Surrey
District:
Tandridge (District Authority)
Parish:
Felbridge
National Grid Reference:
TQ 36803 39676

Details

TQ 33 NE FELBRIDGE CRAWLEY DOWN ROAD Felbridge County Primary School 12/277 II

School. 1783, founded by James Evelyn; extended in 1934. Flemish bond red brick with some burnt headers on ground floor and tile-hung timber frame first floor. Plain tile roof with gabled and half-hipped ends. Brick axial stack.

3-room lobby entrance plan; the former kitchen at centre and small teacher's parlour on right heated from back-to-back fireplaces in axial stack which forms entrance lobby at front. The left hand room was the classroom (now kitchen). 3 rooms on first floor. The C20 stair wing at back probably replaces the original stair outshut and dates from circa 1934 when a large extension was built on left (west).

2 storeys. Asymmetrical 3-window south east front. Ground floor cambered arch window openings. 2 3-light leaded-pane casements on left and 12-pane sash on right. 3 small 2-light casements on first floor. Doorway to right of centre with C20 panelled and glazed door and C20 hipped roof open porch. Depressed 2-centred arch window on right hand (north east) end with 2-light casements with Y-bars and leaded panes. Short hipped roof wing at rear. Large 1934 extension attached on left extending to rear.

Interior: Ground floor central room (original kitchen) has chamfered cross-beam without stops and large brick fireplace with big unchamfered timber lintel. Small right hand room (parlour) has C20 brick fireplace. First floor has roughly chamfered cross-beams with run-out stops and exposed wall-plate. C20 staircase and C20 roof structure.

Note: In 1783 James Evelyn (descendant of John Evelyn, the Diarist) "chose a large house at Hedgecourt Common - arranging for 1½ acres around it to be enclosed and used as a school". The school opened on 4 November 1783 and was for 8 boys and 4 girls.

Sources: G Williams, The Village School (1983). Report by P J Gray.

Listing NGR: TQ3680339676

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
287528
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Williams, G , The Village School, (1983)

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 15 Feb 2005
Reference: IOE01/13201/19
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Richard M. Brown. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected]gland.org.uk.