CHURCH OF ST JOHN THE EVANGELIST

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1377847
Date first listed:
01-May-1953
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST JOHN THE EVANGELIST, EPSOM ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST JOHN THE EVANGELIST
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1377847 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 17-Oct-2019 at 01:05:05.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST JOHN THE EVANGELIST, EPSOM ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Surrey
District:
Guildford (District Authority)
National Grid Reference:
TQ 02885 50689

Details

TQ 05SW GUILDFORD EPSOM ROAD (South Side) Merrow 2/46 1/5/53 Church of St John the Evangelist

GV II Church. C12 remains in south chapel and aisle, rebuilt in 1842 by R. C. Hussey in 1842 in C14 style, north aisle added by Sir A. W. Blomfield in 1881. Knapped flint rubble in rough courses with ashlar dressings and quoins; plain tiled roofs, Horsham slabs over porch, with wood-shingled broach spire over tower. Chancel and chapels to east, aisled nave with porches to north and south and tower to west. Two stage tower to west with quoined angles and lower stage battering. String course over lower stage rising up on south side to form gable moulding over stone clock dial with thick foliage cap to apex finial. Two-light Decorated-style traceried and louvred opening under hood mould on upper stage of tower on each face, that to north with four quatrefoils in stone panel below. Geometrical roundel window on the west face of the lower stage. Stair turret to north-east corner of tower at junction with aisle with foiled-head lancet window adjoining on lower stage and plain door surround below approached up a flight of external stairs. Two-light Decorated-style window under hood mould to west gable end of north aisle with offset angle buttresses flanking. Renewed lancet fenestration in chamfered surrounds on aisle, wall plate exposed above. Round arched and zig-zag moulded surround to north door. Two lancet windows on north side of chancel chapel with priest's door adjacent. Five stepped lights in east window under common hood mould with broach steps to outer chamfer. One square-headed two-light and quatrefoil window to north and south sides of chancel under ball-flower stopped hood moulds. One two-light window and door to east end of south chancel chapel/vestry. Three 2-light square-headed windows to south side. Gabled porch with one lancet window in each return side to south with stone bands on front and C15 scalloped and trefoil pattern bargeboards. Hollow chamfer and ball flower decorated surround to doors with spear headed railings across in front. Interior:- Three-bay circular-pier round-arched south arcade with moulded bases and caps. Two chamfered orders and grooved and chamfered labels on each side. Arch at east end of south aisle probably c.1200 but reset on modern jambs. Inner jambs of lancets in south chancel chapel C13 but with C19 alterations. Beneath east window of north chapel are two short C12 shafts with scalloped caps, one with scalloped base, the other moulded. Fittings:- C19 fittings of standard design. Piscina/aumbry below south east lancet window of south chancel chapel partly obscured by pews.

PEVSNER: BUILDINGS OF ENGLAND, SURREY (1971) p.359. V.C.H.: SURREY (1967 Edn) Vol. III pp.358-9.

Listing NGR: TQ0288550689

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
288908
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Malden, H E, The Victoria History of the County of Surrey: Volume III, (1911), 358-359
Pevsner, N, Nairn, I Rev. by Cherry, The Buildings of England: Surrey, (1971), 359

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 11 Jul 2007
Reference: IOE01/16247/20
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Adam Watson. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].