CHURCH OF ST KATHARINE

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1377942
Date first listed:
19-Oct-1951
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST KATHARINE, GATTON BOTTOM

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST KATHARINE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1377942.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 22-Feb-2020 at 19:47:37.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST KATHARINE, GATTON BOTTOM

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Surrey
District:
Reigate and Banstead (District Authority)
National Grid Reference:
TQ 29020 53798

Details



902/23/95 GATTON BOTTOM 19-OCT-51 MERSTHAM CHURCH OF ST KATHARINE

II* Church, sited in a large churchyard. Tower, nave and chancel of C13 origins; C14 or C15 S porch; medieval Perpendicular chancel chapels; S aisle rebuilt in 1874-5; vestries of 1861 and 1895. Flint and Merstham stone rubble, except the S chancel chapel which is ashlar masonry, the tower limewashed; tiled roofs with stone slates at the eaves of the nave; copper roofs to aisles. Plan of nave with clerestory; chancel, W tower; lean-to N and S aisles; SE and NE chapels; NW vestries.

Exterior: The S side is the show front with 2 flights of steps up to the gabled S porch which has a moulded outer doorway, square-headed hoodmould and carved spandrels; sundial in gable. C19 S aisle with carved cornice with fleurons; 2-light square-headed C19 windows with quirky tracery; cusped rounded clerestory windows above. To the E the ashlar masonry E chapel with a diagonal SE buttress has very large square-headed, 2-light cusped windows with a moulded doorway between(masonry renewed 1932-33), and a 3-light Perpendicular E window. The E window of the chancel is 5-light C19 Perpendicular. The N aisle has a 2-light window to the E with a triangular head and cusped lights. The C19 vestries are adjacent gabled blocks, roofed at right angles to the aisle. The N chapel has triangular-headed windows with cusped light to N and E. The church is a good C13 4-level tower with C19 angle buttresses and a substantial broach spire. The tower has tall C13 lancet windows at each stage, a probably C16 3-light W window, and a fine C13 trefoil-headed W doorway with an order of toothed ornament on slender shafts with bell capitals and a door with medieval ironwork.

Interior: Chamfered chancel arch on semi-circular responds, remnants of C13 blind arcading on N and S chancel walls. 3-bay arcades, the N with octagonal piers, the S cylindrical with double chamfered arches. 2-centred double-chamfered chancel arch on semi-circular responds. Late medieval tie beam and crown post roof to the nave with plain crown posts and 2-way braces, boarded behind. Lean-to C19 aisle roofs, boarded behind. The chancel has a plaster vault with a classically moulded wallplate, probably C17, and a single beam with bar step stops on the N, but cut back on the S. Asymmetrical arches into the N and S chapels, perhaps to accommodate a rood screen across the whole width of the church. Late medieval tie beam and crown post roof to N chancel chapel with a moulded post and 4-way bracing. Canted plaster vault to S chapel with a moulded wallplate. C13 double piscina in E wall on a corbel carved with stiff-leaf foliage. 1903 choir stalls, the ends and frontals carved with blind tracery. 1930 altar and timber reredos with painted panels. 1935 altar and timber reredos in N chancel chapel. Polygonal timber pulpit of 1885 with open traceried sides on a stone stem. Circa C13 font with square bowl with trefoils carved in the corners, arcaded on 3 sides only, on a cylindrical stem with corner shafts. Benches of 1861, the ends square-headed, with buttress-like features to the sides. Monuments include mutilated C15 secular effigy and C15 and C16 brasses. Fragments of medieval glass in the E window of the S chapel. C19 windows include designs by Messrs Powell of Whitefriars and a 1935 tower window by Hugh Easton.

St Katherine's, Merstham is an example of an ambitious evolved medieval church with a fine C13 tower and much surviving internal fabric including late medieval roof structure.

Sources: Pevsner, Surrey, 1971 edn., 360-361 Morris, M., St Katherine's Church, Merstham, 1990

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
289323
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N, Nairn, I Rev. by Cherry, The Buildings of England: Surrey, (1971), 360-361

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].