CHURCH OF ST PETER

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1377991
Date first listed:
24-Jul-1954
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST PETER, BREECH LANE

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST PETER
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1377991.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 22-Feb-2020 at 19:56:19.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST PETER, BREECH LANE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Surrey
District:
Reigate and Banstead (District Authority)
National Grid Reference:
TQ 22377 55089

Details

TQ 25NW BREECH LANE 3/67 Walton-on-the-Hill Tadworth 24.7.54 Church of St Peter (Formerly listed under General)

II*

Church C15. Renewed in 1818 and further restored in 1870 and 1895. Flint with stone dressings and plain tile roof. 3 stage buttressed west tower; nave with aisles, north aisle/lady chapel and chancel. Polygonal turret in north east angle of tower rising through 2½ stages from circular base. Moulding of the west door and window tracery renewed in the C19 except for early C20 windows (lancets) in the south aisle wall; nave dormers and battlements to tower: 1895.

Interior: Tower and chancel arches with attached demi shafts. 3 bay nave with cusped arch brace and wind brace roof. Late C14 triple sedelia in south wall of chancel with ogee arched priscina. Lead font: rare mid C12, an early example of the type with virtues and vices in arcades. C W Zanecki: The lead fonts of Great Britian (1966). Pevsner Bulidings of England: Surrey 1971.

Listing NGR: TQ2237755089

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
289481
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N, Nairn, I Rev. by Cherry, The Buildings of England: Surrey, (1971)
Zanecki, C W, The lead fonts of Great Britain, (1966)

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 03 Jun 2006
Reference: IOE01/15696/03
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr David Evans. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].