CHURCH OF ST MARY MAGDALENE

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1378100
Date first listed:
11-Mar-1987
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST MARY MAGDALENE, HORSHAM ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST MARY MAGDALENE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1378100 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 23-Sep-2019 at 20:51:10.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST MARY MAGDALENE, HORSHAM ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Surrey
District:
Mole Valley (District Authority)
Parish:
Holmwood
National Grid Reference:
TQ 17197 44804

Details

In the entry for HOLMWOOD C.P. HORSHAM ROAD

7/93 Church of St Mary Magdalene

The list description should be amended to read:-

Church. Originally a chapel built in 1837-8, Mr J B Watson, the gift of Mrs Arnold. Chancel added in 1842 by J Wild, North aisle added in 1845, possibly by J P Harrison. Tower added in 1850 and South aisle by St Aubyn completed in 1863. Sandstone blocks on the tower, sandstone rubble with ashlar dressings to remainder, all under plain tiled roofs. Aisled nave with chancel to east and tower to west. Tower: 3 stages with offset diagonal buttresses and string courses between each stage on North and South faces only. Double lancet openings to top stage, decorated style window to west face of lower stage. Three trefoil-head and roundel windows to south aisle on sill course, with hood moulds over. Renewed lancet fenestration on pentice roofed north aisle. Corbelled eaves to chancel in the angle with the south aisle. Corbelled eaves to chancel in the angle with the south aisle. Bellcote on roof at junction of nave and chancel. Gabled stone porch to south with hood moulding and foliage or stops to entrance. Corbelled surround to studded door. Interior:- Round pier arcades with roll moulded plinths, 3 piers on each arcade, half-octagonal responds to east ends. Billeted braces on south aisle roof with double row of windbraces above. Chamfered and corbelled tower arch seimi-circular responds on chancel arch.

Fittings:- Triple sedilia with flanking aumbry on south chancel wall. Arcaded and gilded reredos behind altar and arcaded rear arch to east-window. C19 and early C20 panelling in chancel and stone floor. Panelled pulpit on stone plinth. Octagonal, plain tub front on squat multi-shaft stem.

Monuments:- Wall monument to Mr G Rennie on west wall. Bridge building and designer. 0

PEVSNER: BUILDINGS OF ENGLAND, SURREY (1971) p.137

------------------------------------

HOLMWOOD C.P. HORSHAM ROAD TQ 14SE Church of St Mary 7/93 Magdalene

II

Church. Originally a chapel built in 1837-8, by J. B, Watson, the gift of Mrs Arnold. Nave added in 1842 by J. Wild, North aisle added in 1845, possibly by J. P. Harrison. Tower added in 1850 and South aisle completed in 1863. Sand- stone blocks on the tower, sandstone rubble with ashlar dressings to remainder, all under plain tiled roofs. Aisled nave with gabled porch to south, chancel to east and tower to west. Tower: 3 stages with offset diagonal buttresses and string courses between each stage. Double lancet openings to top stage, decorated style window to west face of lower stage. Two trefoil-head and roundel windows to south on sill course, with hood moulds over. Renewed lancet fenestration on pentice roofed north aisle. Corbelled eaves to chancel with lancet windows below, flat roofed vestry to north side of chancel in the angle with the north aisle. Bell- cote on roof at junction of nave and chancel. Gabled stone porch to south with hood moulding and foliage steps to entrance. Corbelled surround to studded door. Interior:- Round pier arcades with roll moulded plinths, 3 piers on each arcade, half-octagonal responds to ends. Billeted braces on south aisle roof with double row of windbraces above. Chamfered and corbelled tower arch, semi-circular responds on chancel arch. Fittings:- Triple sedilia with flanking aumbry on south chancel wall. Arcaded and gilded reredos behind altar and arcaded rear arch to east window. C19 Early C20 panelling in chancel and stone floor. Panelled pulpit on stone plinth. Octagonal, plain tub font on squat multi-shaft stem. Monuments:- Wall monument to Mr J. Rennie on west wall. Bridge builder arid designer.

PEVSNER: BUILDINGS OF ENGLAND, SURREY (1971) p.317.

Listing NGR: TQ1719744804

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
290060
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N, Nairn, I Rev. by Cherry, The Buildings of England: Surrey, (1971), 137

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 10 Aug 2000
Reference: IOE01/01419/07
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr John H. Chapman. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].