This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.


List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.


List entry Number: 1378357



The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Greater London Authority

District: Southwark

District Type: London Borough


National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: I

Date first listed: 02-Mar-1950

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 470656

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.



TQ3280SE BOROUGH HIGH STREET 636-1/17/89 (East side) 02/03/50 No.77 The George Inn


Inn. C17. Timber-frame and brick. Tiled roof. Present structure formed the south range of a coaching inn ranged around a quadrangle. EXTERIOR: 3 storeys with dormers. The west half has 2 tiers of galleries at the 1st and 2nd floors, the lower supported on cantilevered beams and the upper on wooden Doric columns. The wall behind is partly brick and partly timber. There are windows overlooking the gallery and a staircase at the eastern end. The eastern section, with a 9-window range, is chiefly of limewashed bricks with storey bands. A variety of glazing patterns, including flush C18 sashes, sliding sashes, casements and windows with mullions and transoms. Boxed eaves to the brick range; the galleried section terminates in a 4-part fascia. The rear or south is reported to be brick faced and features a large projecting stack. The windows here appear to be the remnants of an earlier phase of construction. INTERIOR: early C18 staircase, reset as dogleg staircase c1730, has barleytwist-on-vase and column-on-vase balusters on closed string with moulded handrail and heavy barleysugar newel post. Ground-floor room to front right with fielded panelling, moulded dado and cornice and bolection-moulded overmantel over fire-place; simpler panelled room with straight-cut panelling and moulded cornice to rear right; similar panelled room with cupboard adjoining early C19 marble fireplace to front left; similar panelling to three 1st-floor rooms, with early C19 fireplace to front left. Attic has C18 common-rafter roof, with halved collars; C17 plank door to cellar, which has reused medieval beams and squared stonework of possible medieval origins to left side wall. HISTORICAL NOTE: the original inn dates back at least to the C16. In addition to its functions as a coaching inn, part of it came to be used as offices for the Great Eastern Railway Company, which eventually acquired the entire site from Guy's Hospital. The north range was pulled down by the Company in 1874. In 1937 it was given to its present owner, the National Trust. (The Buildings of England: Cherry B: London 2: South: England:

1983-1984: 588; The National Trust: The George Inn: An Illustrated Souvenir: 1989-; Survey of London: Darlington I: London: 1955-: 16-21).

Listing NGR: TQ3266180089

Selected Sources

Books and journals
The George Inn An Illustrated Souvenir, (1989)
Bridget, C, Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: London 2: South, (1994), 588
'Royal Commission on the Historical Monuments of England' in Survey of London, (), 16-21

National Grid Reference: TQ 32661 80089


© Crown Copyright and database right 2017. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2017. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1378357 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 23-Oct-2017 at 02:52:44.

End of official listing