NUMBER 3 STORE (MO 66)

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1378559
Date first listed:
13-Aug-1999
Statutory Address:
NUMBER 3 STORE (MO 66), MORICE YARD

Map

© Crown Copyright and database right 2021. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2021. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1378559.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 05-Mar-2021 at 17:08:34.

Location

Statutory Address:
NUMBER 3 STORE (MO 66), MORICE YARD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
City of Plymouth (Unitary Authority)
National Grid Reference:
SX 44856 54797

Details

SX 4454 NE PLYMOUTH MORICE YARD, Devonport Dockyard 740-1/95/185 No.3 Store (MO 66)

GV II

Storehouse. 1840-1855, altered mid C20. Squared coursed limestone, granite dressings and hipped slate roof. Open plan. EXTERIOR: 2 storeys; 9-window range. Symmetrical sides with a first-floor cill band, a central segmental-arched entrance with C20 doors beneath matching first-floor tripartite window, round-arched ground-floor and flat-arched first-floor windows with 919-pane sashes. Wend has 2 wide round-arched doorways with timber doors and a tripartite fanlight, beneath a single segmental-arched tripartite sash. N side ground-floor windows half bricked up with spiral C19 iron fire escape at the end. INTERIOR: contains inserted ground floor partitions and stairs, open first floor and ceiled roof. Some old spar timbers used as floor ties. HISTORY: the Yard was laid out in 1720 by Colonel Lilly for the Board of Ordnance and expanded in the 1770s. One of the last buildings built by the Board of Ordnance, a pair with No.6 Store, Sail Loft (qv), and a late addition forming part of the best surviving (18 naval ordnance yard in the country. (Source: Coad J: The Royal Dockyards 1690-1850: Aldershot: 1989: 256).



Listing NGR: SX4485654797

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
476509
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Coad, J G, The Royal Dockyards 1690-1850: Architecture and Engineering Works of the Sailing Navy, (1989), 256

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].