CHRIST CHURCH

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II*

List Entry Number: 1378620

Date first listed: 10-Jun-1954

Statutory Address: CHRIST CHURCH, ALBANY STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHRIST CHURCH
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1378620 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 23-Oct-2018 at 12:28:03.

Location

Statutory Address: CHRIST CHURCH, ALBANY STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Greater London Authority

District: Camden (London Borough)

National Grid Reference: TQ 28817 82893

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

CAMDEN

TQ2882NE ALBANY STREET 798-1/87/29 (East side) 10/06/54 Christ Church

II*

Church. 1836. By Sir James Pennethorne. Alterations by RC Carpenter 1839-43 and alterations and decoration by William Butterfield, 1849-85. Grey stock brick with stucco and stone dressings. Neo-Grecian style. Rectangular plan. EXTERIOR: main central entrance on south facade; shallow portico with pilasters carrying entablature which continues around the building. Shallow pediment; roundels in frieze depicting a dove, "IHS", and a triangle. Architraved, trapezoidal doorway with heavy panelled doors and overlight. Portico flanked by round-arched windows. At the angles, small square pavilions. Above the main entrance, brick tower of 3 stages, middle stage with columns and broken entablature and top stage with thin steeple. West facade with 5 tall round-arched windows flanked by brick pilasters carrying entablature. In corner pavilions at angles architraved, trapezoidal doorways with console bracketed pediments and panelled doors. East facade single storey extension running the length of the church. North facade cement rendered with projecting rectangular sanctuary with C20 cross. INTERIOR: galleried. Marble floor by Butterfield. Glass by Clayton and Bell; a window depicting The Sermon on the Mount on the east side designed by DG Rossetti, 1864. Many fittings now at St Mary Magdalene, Munster Square (qv). (Survey of London: Vol. XXI, Tottenham Court Road and Neighbourhood, St Pancras III: London: -1949: 150).







Listing NGR: TQ2881782893

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 476573

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
'Survey of London' in Survey of London - Tottenham Court Road and Neighbourhood St Pancras Part 3: Volume 21, (1949), 150

End of official listing