PEARL ASSURANCE COMPANY LIMITED

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1378890
Date first listed:
14-May-1974
Statutory Address:
PEARL ASSURANCE COMPANY LIMITED, 247-252, HIGH HOLBORN

Map

Ordnance survey map of PEARL ASSURANCE COMPANY LIMITED
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1378890 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 16-Oct-2019 at 03:33:44.

Location

Statutory Address:
PEARL ASSURANCE COMPANY LIMITED, 247-252, HIGH HOLBORN

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Greater London Authority
District:
Camden (London Borough)
National Grid Reference:
TQ 30695 81502

Details

CAMDEN

TQ3081NE HIGH HOLBORN 798-1/101/836 (South side) 14/05/74 Nos.247-252 (Consecutive) Pearl Assurance Co Ltd

II

Office block. Central block, 1912-19 by C Newman; east block, 1929-30 by P Moncton; south-east extension, 1954-6 by Bates & Sinning; west block, 1959-60 by Bates & Sinning. Portland stone with granite, rusticated podium. Steep slated roof. Irregular plan ranged round central courtyard. EXTERIOR: main facade 5 storeys, attics and 2 storeys of dormers in Edwardian Baroque style. Symmetrical design with projecting end and central bays, windows 1:7:1:7:1. Engaged Ionic columns and pilasters rise through 2nd-4th floors carrying entablature. Round arched entrance with console-keystone and flanked by elaborate bracketed lanterns in 2 groups of 3; bronze gates. Ground floor windows architraved with rusticated keystones, 1st floor round-headed architraved, 2nd square-headed architraved, 3rd with cartouche keys and cast-iron balconies, 4th are oculi. Central entrance bay flanked by paired columns with broken segmental pediment; 2 stage tower above with leaded dome carried by Ionic engaged columns. End bays with smaller leaded domes. INTERIOR: has good features including ground floor cash hall and marble balustraded staircase. SUBSIDIARY FEATURES: attached balustraded parapets to basement areas.



Listing NGR: TQ3069581502

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
478251
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 08 Aug 2004
Reference: IOE01/12778/35
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr David March. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].