FORMER DILLON'S BOOKSHOP AND ATTACHED RAILINGS AND GATES

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1379009
Date first listed:
28-Mar-1969
Statutory Address:
FORMER DILLON'S BOOKSHOP AND ATTACHED RAILINGS AND GATES, 42-56, TORRINGTON PLACE
Statutory Address:
FORMER DILLON'S BOOKSHOP AND ATTACHED RAILINGS AND GATES, GOWER STREET

Map

© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1379009.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 09-Jul-2020 at 03:06:13.

Location

Statutory Address:
FORMER DILLON'S BOOKSHOP AND ATTACHED RAILINGS AND GATES, 42-56, TORRINGTON PLACE
Statutory Address:
FORMER DILLON'S BOOKSHOP AND ATTACHED RAILINGS AND GATES, GOWER STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Greater London Authority
District:
Camden (London Borough)
National Grid Reference:
TQ 29690 82050

Details

This list entry was subject to a Minor Amendment on 25/07/2017

TQ2982SE 798-1/94/1636

CAMDEN TORRINGTON PLACE (South side) Nos.42-56 (Even) Former Dillon's Bookshop and attached railings and gates

(Formerly listed as Dillon's Bookshop and attached railings and gates) 28/03/69 GV II Includes: Former Dillon's Bookshop and attached railings and gates GOWER STREET. Terrace of shops with flats over, now one shop and offices. 1907-8. By Charles Fitzroy Doll, the Bedford Estate surveyor. Red brick with terracotta and stone dressings. Steeply pitched, tiled roofs with gables to each bay and tall slab chimney-stacks. Elaborate Franco-Flemish Gothic style.

EXTERIOR: Three storeys, attics and basements. Eight bays and three-bay returns to Gower Street and Malet Street. Ground floor damaged during 2nd World War and repaired in a simple style of stone pilasters supporting an entablature at first floor level. Plate glass glazing. Above ground floor, the facade is articulated by vertical attached colonnettes, recessed rainwater pipes with heads dated 1908 and lion mask spouts, and horizontal strings. Each bay (except corner bays) with canted three-light bay windows through first and second floors and flanked by one, two or three lights with round-arched, moulded surrounds. Bay windows with enriched transoms and tracery, aprons carved with mythical beasts, coats of arms, foliage and the word SARA on ribbons.Enriched parapets from which sprout gargoyles in the form of mythical beasts. Enriched and cusped cornice at third floor level. Above each bay a large gable with carved finial, seated figures in tympanum, beneath which three round-arched lights. Both angles with octagonal corner turrets with tiled conical roofs. Rainwater heads with date 1908.

Gower Street return in similar style but without bay windows. In right-hand bay a three-light oriel through two floors surmounted by an octagonal feature with niches and gargoyles. At ground floor level, two shop windows, plain transom and mullion three and two-light windows and round-headed entrance with keystone, fanlight and part-glazed door. (Malet Street return similar.) At first floor level above the entrance a carved balustrade of three panels in Art Nouveau style. INTERIOR: altered. SUBSIDIARY FEATURES: attached wrought and cast-iron railings and gates to areas on Gower Street and having panels with scroll design and finials with elaborate flowers.





Listing NGR: TQ2969082050

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
478373
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 04 Jun 2005
Reference: IOE01/13280/17
Rights: Copyright IoE Miss Sylvia Gauthereau. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].