This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.


List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.


List entry Number: 1379069



The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Greater London Authority

District: Camden

District Type: London Borough


National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: I

Date first listed: 11-Aug-1950

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 478435

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.



TQ2685NW HOLLY BUSH HILL 798-1/26/892 (East side) 11/08/50 Romney's House


End of terrace house. 1797. Built by the artist George Romney as his studio (plaque); enlarged 1807 at east end for use as Assembly Rooms; in 1929 redesigned by and for Clough Williams-Ellis. Original 2 storey house timber-framed with weatherboarding. Slated roof. Main front on north side: brown brick ground floor and weatherboarded 1st floor. Symmetrical 3 window facade. Good central doorway with fluted pilasters carrying carved console-bracketed hood, patterned radial fanlight and panelled door. Flush framed sashes. Hipped roof with dormers. West end facing road: slightly lower with brown brick ground floor and weatherboarded 1st floor slightly projecting as a flat segmental bay with hipped roof. East end: with Assembly Room extension believed to retain good geometrical staircase and pilasters to assembly room on 1st floor. Stucco portico with pilasters carrying entablature and architraved doorway. INTERIOR: not inspected. HISTORICAL NOTE: the stables, now Holly Bush Public House, Holly Mount (qv), were converted c1807 to form a catering wing for the Assembly Rooms.

Listing NGR: TQ2630685916

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: TQ 26306 85916


© Crown Copyright and database right 2017. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2017. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1379069 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 22-Oct-2017 at 02:09:31.

End of official listing