CHURCH OF ST MARTIN

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
I
List Entry Number:
1379098
Date first listed:
10-Jun-1954
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST MARTIN, VICARS ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST MARTIN
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1379098 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 19-Oct-2019 at 22:10:10.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST MARTIN, VICARS ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Greater London Authority
District:
Camden (London Borough)
National Grid Reference:
TQ 28162 85282

Details

CAMDEN

TQ2885SW VICARS ROAD 798-1/41/1670 (South side) 10/06/54 Church of St Martin

GV I

Church. 1864-6. By EB Lamb for JD Allcroft; later chapel at north-west corner after 1915 by his son EB Lamb junior. Kentish ragstone rubble with fine dressings. Tiled gabled roofs with fishscale diaper patterns. EXTERIOR: west part of nave 3 bays, aisleless, then 3 aisled bays with the transept cutting into the nave and as high as this, and with the other bays of the aisle treated as angle chapels; polygonal apse narrower than the almost polygonal south transept. Tall, 3 stage north tower (originally with corner pinnacles) close to west end with attached, even taller stair turret. Unusual modified Gothic design with eclectic and original details. Imaginative Perpendicular windows with eccentric cusping and heavy transoms, called "Tudor" by Nikolaus Pevsner. To north of apse and on south side near east end, small towers with broach spires. INTERIOR: with elaborate carved hammerbeam roof throughout resting on shafts which do not go down to the ground but start from Cistercian-like brackets attached to each side of the large square piers which stand between nave and aisles. Lamb's choir stalls and pews, altar rails with pierced decoration, font with cover and pulpit remain. Massive organ in south choir aisle. Royal arms over south porch inside. Initials of JBA (outside) and EBL (within). Vestry fully panelled. Stained glass at east end contemporary with the church, as is the mosaic spandrel decoration in the chancel. Mosaic floors. Stained glass in nave dated 1905 and 1907: St Cecilia in memory of Harriet Puzey, organist, one by Morris and Co. Heraldic glass in transepts post-1945. Transept also has commandment boards. Memorial to John Derby Allcroft 1821-93. HISTORICAL NOTE: Allcroft was a wealthy glove manufacturer and strong Evangelical who paid for several churches. (Survey of London: Vol. XXIV, King's Cross Neighbourhood, St Pancras IV: London: -1952: 144).





Listing NGR: TQ2816285282

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
478464
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
'Survey of London' in Survey of London - Kings Cross neighbourhood The Parish of St Pancras Part 4: Volume 24 , (1951), 144

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 15 May 2005
Reference: IOE01/14402/12
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Steve Kirkland. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].