LAUDERDALE HOUSE

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1379128
Date first listed:
10-Jun-1954
Statutory Address:
LAUDERDALE HOUSE, WATERLOW PARK

Map

© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1379128.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 22-Sep-2020 at 08:53:13.

Location

Statutory Address:
LAUDERDALE HOUSE, WATERLOW PARK

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Greater London Authority
District:
Camden (London Borough)
National Grid Reference:
TQ 28773 87236

Details

TQ2887SE 798-1/6/1682

CAMDEN WATERLOW PARK Lauderdale House 10/06/54

GV II* House.1582 with extensive later additions and alterations. Roughcast on timber frame, with later rendered brick additions; tiled roof. EXTERIOR: Two storeys, with gables. Brick vaulted cellars below courtyard and northeast front.

Northeast (entrance) front: asymmetrical two-storey front with wooden Doric porch below pediment with Diocletian window; projecting brick chimney-stack; four sash windows and door to ground floor; five sash windows to first floor; string courses at first and second floor levels; parapet.

Southeast (garden) front: ground floor with two canted bay windows flanked by two openings, one a window, the other a blocked doorway containing the inscription LCC LAUDERDALE HOUSE RENOVATED AD 1893; jettied upper storey with nine sash windows; central pedimental gable.

Southwest (park) front: wooden Doric loggia, six columns in length, with four French windows to house; first floor has five symmetrical sash windows; string course at second floor level; central attic storey with Diocletian window; pedimented gable end. Loggia extended to north by four columns. INTERIOR: much altered, but with features of note. 'Nell Gwynne's bath', late C17 carved wooden buffet with marble shelf; early C19 plaster relief of Achilles, Patroclus and Briseis; late C17 wall painting of trompe l'oeil balustrade; late C20 fibre glass replacement of early C18 octagonal lantern over stairs; 90ft long gallery along southeast front with original timbers exposed, and late C17 plaster ceiling brought from demolished house in Leadenhall Street installed as part of ceiling. HISTORICAL NOTE: house was built c1582 for Sir Roger Martin and substantially altered c1640 by Lady Home. Occupied by the Second Earl of Lauderdale in 1640s and 1660s; exterior transformed from original half-timbered appearance to present rendered neo-Classical appearance c1760.

House, with 29 acres, presented to London County Council in 1889 'for the enjoyment of Londoners' by Sir Sydney Waterlow bt. and extensively restored prior to opening in 1893. Major fire in 1963 destroyed roof and much of interior; restoration still underway at time this description revised in 1995. (Barber P, Cox O and Curwen M: Lauderdale Revealed: 1993; Survey of London : 17: London:1936: 90).

Listing NGR: TQ2877387236

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
478494
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 28 Sep 2006
Reference: IOE01/16164/24
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Andrew More. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].