ST MARTINS THEATRE

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1379186
Date first listed:
16-Mar-1973
Statutory Address:
ST MARTINS THEATRE, WEST STREET

Map

© Crown Copyright and database right 2021. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2021. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1379186.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 08-May-2021 at 22:33:22.

Location

Statutory Address:
ST MARTINS THEATRE, WEST STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Greater London Authority
District:
Camden (London Borough)
National Grid Reference:
TQ 30024 80990

Details

CAMDEN

TQ3080NW WEST STREET 798-1/108/1714 (North East side) 16/03/73 St Martins Theatre

GV II

Theatre. 1916. By WGR Sprague as a companion to the Ambassadors (1913), West Street (qv), but for different owners. Built by Lenn Thornton and Co. Ashlar facade with banded rustication to ground floor. EXTERIOR: 4 storeys. 5 bays with 10-window left return. Ground floor with round arch openings and wide central entrance surmounted by a plain C20 canopy. Giant engaged Ionic columns in antis with rusticated end pilasters rise through the 1st, 2nd and 3rd floors, supporting an entablature, with triglyphs in the frieze, and parapet. First floor windows have Tuscan pilasters supporting pediments, above shouldered architraves and keyblocks. INTERIOR: 2-tier auditorium, in Classical style, of polished hardwood. Turned balusters to balcony fronts. Side walls of auditorium have large Doric engaged columns and pilasters on pedestals supporting bold entablature which continues over the rectangular proscenium arch. Glazed domed ceiling. Stage machinery: nearly complete example of Edwardian (1916) wooden stage, marred only by alterations made to accommodate dimmer room in the sub-stage space. Represents one of the final stages in the development of timber stage machinery in England and an exceptional survival. HISTORICAL NOTE: "Architectural Review" of that time noted a change in style of decoration from the lavish showy palace to a traditional English domestic interior implying a more select audience.





Listing NGR: TQ3002380984

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
478553
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].