THE PUMP HOUSE

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1379203
Date first listed:
26-Oct-1999
Statutory Address:
THE PUMP HOUSE, LOW HALL LANE

Map

Ordnance survey map of THE PUMP HOUSE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1379203.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 07-Apr-2020 at 14:52:43.

Location

Statutory Address:
THE PUMP HOUSE, LOW HALL LANE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Greater London Authority
District:
Waltham Forest (London Borough)
National Grid Reference:
TQ 36296 88261

Details

TQ 38 NE LOW HALL LANE 1802/2/10018 The Pump House

II

Sewage pumping station, now a steam engine museum. 1877 for Walthamstow Urban District Council, extended to west 1896 and present engines installed 1897. London stock yellow brick laid in Flemish bond with engineering brick dressings; slate and corrugated asbestos roofs. EXTERIOR: single storey. South front consists of 3 gabled ranges, the 2 to the east of 1877 originally. housing Tangey engine and pumps. Each of these with 2 round-arched cast-iron windows, single cast-iron roundels in apexes of gables, clasping end pilasters and a pair of central pilasters beneath rectangular chimney flue. West gabled element with 2 taller segmental-headed cast-iron windows and a blind tympanum above. Pedestrian doorway. Roofs with glazed panels and centre roof with raised and glazed continuous vent with a pedimented end gablet. Late C20 toilet block, not of special interest. North return with 2 similar windows to east build, and one segmental cast-iron window to west build, next to a timber loading door. INTERIOR: solid wall divides west area (boiler room) from remainder. Roof of west area of 5 tensioned steel trusses. 35" steel rolled steel joists inserted in C20 for lifting gear. Roof of east area: central valley supported on one 15" rolled steel joist resting on brick pilasters to north and south. 4 secondary 8" RSJs bolted to main beam (2 to each side), running north and south to rest on brick pilasters in east and west walls. No maker's marks visible. Above RSJs are tensioned steel trusses. Pipework for steam from boiler room remains, serving a balanced pair of Marshall C-type horizontal stationary steam engines driving a central flywheel (engine numbers 27384 and 27385). Condensers below floor. The building is notable for early use of structural steel and for the pair of 1897 steam engines.

Listing NGR: TQ3629688261

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
478570
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 08 Jul 2007
Reference: IOE01/16365/25
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Stewart Monk. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].