This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.


List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.


List entry Number: 1379298



The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Greater London Authority

District: Camden

District Type: London Borough


National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 24-Oct-1951

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 478667

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.



TQ3081SE LINCOLN'S INN 798-1/106/1040 (West side) 24/10/51 New Hall


Banqueting hall with offices. c1843-5. By Philip Hardwick with PC Hardwick & John Loughborough Pearson. Red brick with blue diapers and stone dressings. Slate roof with tall, decorative brick chimneys. Tudor style. EXTERIOR: 2 storeys and semi-basement. Rectangular plan of 7-bay hall, plus lobby and entrance. Linked at north end to adjoining Library (qv). Gabled south end with 7-light, traceried window flanked by square twin towers. East and west elevations with five 8-light square-headed windows, separated by stone dressed buttresses topped with decorative stone finials rising through the embattled parapet, and 2 large bay windows at the high table end. 2-tier glazed fleche with weathervane. Lobby with octagonal turret in roof. Entrance approached by 3 flights of steps. INTERIOR: hall with hammer-beam trusses. Screen at south end; on north wall fresco "Justice, The Hemicycle of The Law Givers" by G F Watts, 1852-9. HISTORICAL NOTE: one of the earliest secular expressions of the revived historicism of Victorian architecture, made more correct in style by PC Hardwick who took over the commission when in 1843 his father became seriously ill. New Hall was restored c1984-87 by Peter Locke & Tony Dyson of Donald Insall Associates, particular attention being given to the roof and fresco.

Listing NGR: TQ3092781408

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: TQ 30923 81408


© Crown Copyright and database right 2017. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2017. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1379298 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 21-Oct-2017 at 09:17:12.

End of official listing