This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.


List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.


List entry Number: 1379317



The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Greater London Authority

District: Camden

District Type: London Borough


National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: I

Date first listed: 24-Oct-1951

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 478695

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.



TQ3181SW LINCOLN'S INN 798-1/107/1046 (North side) 24/10/51 The Chapel, Old Square


Chapel over open undercroft. 1619-23 by John Clark to replace a ruined chapel on a different site; with later alterations. Stone and rendered brickwork; green slate roof. EXTERIOR: 2 storeys. Originally of 3 bays, the 4th western bay and forebuilding 1882-3 by Stephen Salter, who also re-roofed the chapel. Western facade with central Tudor style entrance of pointed moulded arch having hoodmould with label stops and quatrefoil enrichment in spandrels; flanked by single light traceried windows and full height buttresses. At 1st floor level, central 2-light traceried window flanked by armorial shields and then 3-light traceried windows. Above the corbel table a 7-light traceried window with rose. East window similar, renewed by James Wyatt, 1795-6. North and south elevations buttressed (flying at ground storey) at bays with four 4-light Perpendicular windows each. Parapet and buttress pinnacles added by Stephen Salter. Undercroft with Gothic 4-centred arches, lierne-vaults and Tuscan demi-columns attached to the piers. INTERIOR: features of interest include original carved pew ends, early C18 pulpit with tester, late C17 communion rail with twisted balusters and original stained glass depicting Apostles by Bernard van Linge and Richard Butler. The south windows are much restored, the north largely reconstructed after an air-raid in 1915. HISTORICAL NOTE: the foundation stone was laid in 1620 by John Donne, who was Preacher to the Honourable Society of Lincoln's Inn from 1616 to 1622.

Listing NGR: TQ3102781425

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: TQ 31027 81425


© Crown Copyright and database right 2017. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2017. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1379317 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 23-Sep-2017 at 08:37:59.

End of official listing