NUMBERS 1 AND 3 AND ATTACHED BOUNDARY WALLS

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1379406
Date first listed:
30-Sep-1983
Statutory Address:
NUMBERS 1 AND 3 AND ATTACHED BOUNDARY WALLS, 1 AND 3, LYNDHURST TERRACE

Map

© Crown Copyright and database right 2021. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2021. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1379406.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 15-Apr-2021 at 06:45:53.

Location

Statutory Address:
NUMBERS 1 AND 3 AND ATTACHED BOUNDARY WALLS, 1 AND 3, LYNDHURST TERRACE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Greater London Authority
District:
Camden (London Borough)
National Grid Reference:
TQ 26654 85264

Details

CAMDEN

TQ2685SE LYNDHURST TERRACE 798-1/38/1093 (West side) 30/09/83 Nos.1 AND 3 and attached boundary walls

II*

Pair of semi-detached houses. c1864-5. By John Burlison, aided by Alfred Bell of Clayton and Bell, both stained-glass manufacturers, for themselves; 1868 converted to one house and interior Gothicised by Bell and Charles Buckridge; c1895 divided again. Yellow stock brick with red and white brick dressings, bands and diaper decoration. Slated roofs with dormers and tall brick slab chimney-stacks. Gothic style. EXTERIOR: 2 and 3 storeys with attics and basement. Main front irregular with 4-window centre (roof altered to make additional attic storey) flanked by projecting gabled wings, 3-lights to left, 2 to right wing with lower lean-to storey, behind which there is a 2-light gable with chimney and rising roof. Left hand wing has 3-light 2-storey bay, with arcaded brick balustrade, linking it to rectangular tower at angle with pyramidal roof and corbelled oriel window on return. Most windows are lancets, where multiple lights, with colonnettes having carved capitals. Ground floor arcaded, forming porches at angles. Left hand return has circular tower with lancets and conical roof; to left, a chimney breast rising through full height. Rear, elevation with wide half-hipped bay having a large projecting canted ground floor bay with arcaded brick balustrade to provide a balcony. INTERIOR: not inspected but noted that surviving interior decoration is of fine quality, including fireplaces, stained glass and a good surviving scheme of painted wall decoration. SUBSIDIARY FEATURES: attached polychrome brick patterned walls having gabled pointed arch gateways and small arcaded openings; on left hand return to Lyndhurst Road, wall is buttressed and stepped with a round-arched entrance. Leading from gateway to porch of No.1, an inner wall with grouped arcaded openings. HISTORICAL NOTE: Burlison was Bell's father-in-law and, as first built, the house contained residences for both families with an internal door between. Burlison died in 1868 and Bell's family took over the whole building naming it Bayford House. Bell then employed Buckeridge to help produce a wildly ornamented interior. After Bell's death in 1895 the house was divided again.



Listing NGR: TQ2665485264

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
478786
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 04 Jun 2005
Reference: IOE01/14499/01
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Paul Lyons. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].