TA2606SE CHURCH LANE, Scartho
699-1/40/115 (East side)
06/06/51 Church of St Giles
Parish church. C11 Saxo-Norman tower with inserted C13 south
door; C13 south nave arcade; tower parapet of 1656. Roof and
east wall of chancel from 1859 restorations. 1916 roof and
window repairs following Zeppelin raid. 1921 restorations to
tower. Major additions and alterations of 1955-8 by TJ Rushton
include new north nave arcade and aisle, chancel with north
chapel and vestry.
MATERIALS: lower section of tower in roughly coursed cobbles
and chalk, limestone and ironstone rubble, with dressings and
upper stage of squared limestone. Aisle and early section of
nave of ironstone and limestone ashlar and rubble. Chancel of
banded ironstone ashlar with coursed dressed limestone rubble.
Slate roofs with ridge tiles.
PLAN: 2-bay aisled nave with west tower and 2-bay chancel with
north chapel and vestry adjoining.
EXTERIOR: chancel has chamfered plinth, pair of lancets to
south; pointed 2-light east window with C13-style tracery,
filleted mullions, hoodmould with carved stops.
North chapel: segmental-headed 2-light east window and plain
mullioned square-headed north window.
Vestry: has square-headed mullioned windows and
North nave aisle: continuous with north chapel, has restored
pointed 2-light north windows with Curvilinear tracery; west
end with segmental-arched door and basket-arched 2-light plain
South aisle: has restored pointed 3-light south windows with
Perpendicular tracery; west end with blocked pointed door with
hoodmould, and, to its left, a straight joint to a section
adjoining the tower containing a corbel.
2-stage tower: plain plinth, side alternate quoins. C11
round-headed west door with quoins, chamfered imposts and
restored chamfered hoodmould; C20 blocking with inserted
single-light round-headed window. Above, a round-headed
slit-light. South side has an inserted pointed C13 doorway of
2 orders beneath a hoodmould with weathered headstops, the
outer order with nook-shafts and filleted arch, the inner
order chamfered. Above this, a blocked pointed C13 arch,
apparently C13 but incorporating chamfered ironstone imposts
and voussoirs from an C11-style round arch. Above, an C11
keyhole window with a monolithic head, cut by a drip course to
a former addition south of the tower. Clockface above. String
course. Stepped-in top stage with belfry openings of twin
round arches with monolithic heads, chamfered imposts and
mid-wall shafts with ornate carved capitals with volutes and
leaves (similar to Sompting, Essex). Plain ironstone parapet.
INTERIOR: chancel with C19 pointed double-chamfered chancel
arch with hoodmould and carved stops, the inner order on
corbelled wall shafts; C19 east window flanked by narrow blind
arches in moulded surrounds with nook-shafts.
Nave: south arcade of double-chamfered arches with quatrefoil
pier and corbelled responds with carved head corbel to east,
knotted cable to west. C20 north chancel and nave arcade of
pointed double-chamfered arches dying into chamfered pier and
responds. Tall C11 tower arch of 2 plain orders with chamfered
base and imposts; keyhole window above. C20 gallery with
balustrade of twisted balusters, possibly C18 reused.
Tower has a small stoup on north side; another inscribed 1343
is reset below west window, brought from grounds of Scartho
Hall. East window stained glass by AK Nicholson of
Westminster. Norman tub font with cable-moulded rim on a 1921
FITTINGS: include C19 and C20 wooden pews, pulpit, altar rails
MONUMENTS: include a wall tablet to Elizabeth Howe of 1851
with carved shield. Glass case containing C15 Nottingham
alabaster figure carvings found at Scartho in 1928, originally
part of a reredos, with traces of paint and gilt. The figures
represent the Annunciation, Nativity, Adoration, Crucifixion,
Assumption, St John the Baptist and St John the Evangelist.
(The Buildings of England: Pevsner N, Harris J, and Antram N:
Lincolnshire: London: 1989-: 346; Grimsby - Action for
Conservation: Grimsby Borough Planning Department: List of
buildings of local architectural or historical interest:
Grimsby Borough Council: 1972-: NO.55; Grimsby Planning
Department: Scartho Conservation Area: Grimsby Borough
Council: 1972-: NO.55).
Listing NGR: TA2673806363