Heritage Category:
Listed Building
List Entry Number:
Date first listed:
Statutory Address:


© Crown Copyright and database right 2021. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2021. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1379432.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 07-Mar-2021 at 12:49:34.


Statutory Address:

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

North East Lincolnshire (Unitary Authority)
National Grid Reference:
TA 27057 09947


TA2709NW 699-1/17/28



Electrically-powered Sherzer rolling lift road bridge. 1925 by Alfred C Gardner, Docks Engineer to London and North Eastern Railway; Sir William Arrol & Co. of Glasgow, contractors, for Grimsby Corporation. Restored c1980. Cast-iron and steel bridge with timber-clad control box, brick and ashlar abutments. 4 spans resting on short cylindrical piers, those flanking the lifting bascule over the main channel having timber buffers. Bridge has lattice girder parapets which are ramped-up to the lifting section. Ornate cast-iron piers above the abutments, each with plinth, moulded cornice and lamp standards. The plinths bear plaques on 2 sides, the north-east plinth with a commemorative inscription recording details of construction and the opening of the bridge by HRH the Prince of Wales on 19 July 1925; the other plinths have plaques bearing polychrome painted reliefs of the Grimsby Corporation Arms. Makers names on girders include: Skinningrove, Frodingham Iron and Steel Co., Dalzell Steel GK. Control box has wrap-around window with glazing bars, hipped roof with ridge louvre. Bridge spans dock near Victoria Mills, Victoria Street (qv) and replaced a swing bridge. (Grimsby Planning Department: Victoria Mill Conservation Area:Grimsby Borough Council: 1990-: MAP; Ambler RW: Great Grimsby Fishing Heritage: a brief for a trail: Grimsby Borough Council: 1990-: 5-7; Grimsby Borough Council: Top Town Trail: Grimsby: 1989-: NO.38).

Listing NGR: TA2705709947


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
Legacy System:


This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 06 May 2005
Reference: IOE01/13387/21
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Rodney Cousins. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].