ASTRONOMICAL OBSERVATORY

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1379586

Date first listed: 02-Jul-1997

Statutory Address: ASTRONOMICAL OBSERVATORY, HESKETH PARK, SOUTHPORT

Map

Ordnance survey map of ASTRONOMICAL OBSERVATORY
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1379586 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 14-Dec-2018 at 02:47:32.

Location

Statutory Address: ASTRONOMICAL OBSERVATORY, HESKETH PARK, SOUTHPORT

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: Sefton (Metropolitan Authority)

National Grid Reference: SD 34873 18291

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

This list entry was subject to a Minor Amendment on 23/09/2015

SD31NW 664-1/1/302

SOUTHPORT, HESKETH PARK, Astronomical Observatory

02/07/97

II

Observatory. 1877; telescope dated 1869, manufactured by T Cooke and Sons, York and London (on brass plaque). For Joseph Baxendell (1815-1887). Erected in Hesketh Park in 1901. Red brick in stretcher bond with stone keystones and imposts; timber first floor and probably lead roof and dome; cast-iron steps stamped "MASONS PATENT". Rectangular on plan.

EXTERIOR: 2 storeys, one first-floor window. Plinth; pilaster strips to lower storey clasp angles. Ground floor: pair of round-arched entrances (alike): 2 steps to board door with blind fanlight; arch with keystone and imposts; to rear a flight of steps giving access to first floor; ends: to right a casement window in plain reveals with sill and cambered arch; similar opening to left now bricked up. First floor: rectangular and square panels in imitation of timber framing, panels have raised lozenges and rectangles; to front facade at left a plate glass window with pilastered architraves; similar window to right return; flight of steps to entrance, a similarly panelled door at rear. Dome to off-centre left.

INTERIOR: remains intact with telescope. Painted inscription around dome: "Psalm XIX-I THE HEAVENS DECLARE THE GLORY OF GOD; AND THE FIRMAMENT SHEWETH HIS HANDYWORK". Below the inscription a frieze with fielded oblong panels. Ribs to dome. Two panels in dome open, but the whole dome is on casters and will revolve allowing a rotating view.

HISTORY: Baxendell was a meteorologist and astronomer who retired to Southport from Manchester to supervise the opening and running of the Meteorological Observatory in Hesketh Park (now removed), which had been funded by John Fernley (1796-1873). The astronomical observatory, which was originally located at Joseph Baxendell’s home in Birkdale, was donated to Hesketh Park by Baxendell’s family following his death. It was erected in 1901 and was intended for the benefit of the local residents and school children of Southport. The telescope has a longitude of 2 degrees 59 minutes and 8 seconds west and a latitude of 53 degrees, 39 minutes and 25 seconds north. It is 12 feet above sea level.



Listing NGR: SD3487318291

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 478973

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing