40, LANCASTER ROAD

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1379600

Date first listed: 29-Jul-1999

Statutory Address: 40, LANCASTER ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of 40, LANCASTER ROAD
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1379600 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 14-Dec-2018 at 11:10:13.

Location

Statutory Address: 40, LANCASTER ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: Sefton (Metropolitan Authority)

Parish: Non Civil Parish

National Grid Reference: SD3192915561

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SOUTHPORT

SD31NW LANCASTER ROAD, Birkdale 664-1/1/8 (West side (off)) No.40

II

School. 1901, by Edward Shelbourn, with alterations and extensions in 1908 by the same architect. Red brick with red tiled roofs, wooden bargeboarding painted white. Simplified Queen Anne style. Long range on east-west axis, facing south, with short cross wings at both ends. EXTERIOR: two-and-a-half storeys plus a short tower; 10 bays. In front of the third bay is a projected single-storey flat-roofed porch which has a round-headed doorway with double-chamfered stone surround, a rectangular window to the left and an embattled parapet. Behind is a 2-window integral tower-bay which has vertically-offset pairs of stair windows on 2 levels, and a square top stage with 3 round-headed windows, a clock face and an embattled parapet. To the left is a 2-and-a-half-storey, 2-window gabled wing distinguished principally by a corbelled oriel in the centre of the first floor, and left of that a short 2-storey single-window extension with embattled parapet. To the right of the tower the bays of the main range are single-windowed and 2-windowed in sequence 1:2:1:2:1:2:2; the second to the right has a large gabled attic oriel on brackets, with 3-light sashed glazing and oversailing gable verges with decorative strut-work in the apex; the 2-window bays have 2-light attic windows under similar gables; the single-window bays have single-light attic windows under half-hipped roofs; the eighth bay has a 2-storey canted bay window; these and most other windows are tall and segmental-headed, and most have 2/2 sashes. The gabled wing to the right (breaking forwards only slightly) has an oriel like that of the left wing. 2 panelled chimney stacks on the front slope. INTERIOR: not inspected. A simple and effective design carried by the decorative use of gables.





Listing NGR: SD3192915561

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 478987

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing