ROTTINGDEAN WINDMILL AT NGR 365 024

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1380100
Date first listed:
13-Oct-1952
Statutory Address:
ROTTINGDEAN WINDMILL AT NGR 365 024, NEVILL ROAD

Map

© Crown Copyright and database right 2021. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2021. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1380100.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 16-Jan-2021 at 06:50:48.

Location

Statutory Address:
ROTTINGDEAN WINDMILL AT NGR 365 024, NEVILL ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
The City of Brighton and Hove (Unitary Authority)
Parish:
Rottingdean
National Park:
SOUTH DOWNS
National Grid Reference:
TQ 36580 02491

Details

BRIGHTON

TQ3602SE NEVILL ROAD, Rottingdean 577-1/62/1047 (North side (off)) 13/10/52 Rottingdean Windmill at NGR 365 024

GV II

Smock mill. 1802, much restored. Brick base, tarred, weatherboarding above, also tarred. Octagonal with hooded cap. One entrance in base blocked up, but another apparently made. Shutters to sweeps and fantail missing. The mill went out of use in 1881 and was restored and repaired in various ways in 1905-6, 1935, 1966, 1975 and 1988. The artist William Nicholson used this mill as the starting-point for his design of a windmill in silhouette which is the imprint of Messrs Heinemann, publishers. (Carder T: The Encyclopaedia of Brighton: Lewes: 1990-).





Listing NGR: TQ3658002491

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
479579
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Carder, T, Encyclopaedia of Brighton, (1990)

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 22 Jun 2007
Reference: IOE01/16569/06
Rights: Copyright IoE Lorna Freeman. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].