Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1380268

Date first listed: 27-Apr-2000



Ordnance survey map of THELWALL HEYS
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1380268 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 20-Oct-2018 at 07:02:33.



The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: Warrington (Unitary Authority)

Parish: Grappenhall and Thelwall

National Grid Reference: SJ 64628 86743


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.



SJ68NW CLIFF LANE 311/1/10005 Thelwall Heys 27-APR-00


House , formerly house and offices. Dated 1864, with C20 alterations. By Alfred Waterhouse, architect for W. Long. Gothic Revival style. Red-brown brick with yellow and blue brick banding and decoration, ashlar sandstone dressings, and steeply pitched slated roofs with truncated ridge and gable stacks. PLAN: Asymmetrical form, the main range aligned north-west - south east, with lower attached range extending north-eastwards from entrance front, and single storey service court extending from north-west end. FRONT ( north-east) ELEVATION: Asymmetrical facade, of 2 storeys with attics. Off centre two-storeyed entrance porch, possibly truncated, with shallow arched head to ashlar surround, and vertically-planked door with elaborate strap hinges. First floor 2-light window with shallow parapet above. To left, banded gable with projecting tapered chimney breast incorporating ashlar panel with the date 1864 and with a truncated stack above .To the right, glazed entrance passage with shallow lead -covered lean-to roof. Above, and set back, tall 3-light mullion and transom stair window with leaded glazing. Further right, stepped 2 storey wing advances north-eastwards, with canted oriel to inner face of taller part. Lower part of wing has gabled centre bay to inner face , with paired sash windows, and blind twin arches to apex with polychrome brick decoration. Hipped end to wing, with slightly advanced windows beneath hipped gablet. REAR ELEVATION: Canted 2 storeyed bay window to centre, with faceted pitched roof and iron finial. Narrow gable to right-hand end, and between, narrow doorway beneath lean-to roof Decorative coloured brick bands at window head and cill levels, with diaper- work decoration between the bands at first floor level. Left-hand end with stacked paired single light windows. The majority of window frames are undivided or 2 pane sashes. INTERIOR: Entrance passage with decorative leaded lights and encaustic patterned floor tiling. Stair hall with pitch-pine dogleg stair with carved newels , moulded handrails and diagonally-braced intermediate rails. Secondary stairs with turned balusters. Other contemporary features include hearths to some principal rooms, deeply- moulded skirting, architraves and plaster cornices, decorative wall-tiling and 4-panel doors. An early domestic commission by an architect of national stature, dated 1864, which retains much of its high quality interior, and much characteristic exterior detail. Source: Cunningham. C. and Waterhouse. P. 'Alfred Waterhouse 1830-1905. Biography of a practice ' 1992.

Listing NGR: SJ6462886743


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 480080

Legacy System: LBS


Cunningham, C, Alfred Waterhouse 1830-1905 A Biography of a Practice, (1992)

End of official listing