CHURCH OF ST MARGARET

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1380326
Date first listed:
11-Dec-1954
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST MARGARET

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST MARGARET
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1380326.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 21-Feb-2020 at 00:25:37.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST MARGARET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
Shropshire (Unitary Authority)
Parish:
Clee St. Margaret
National Grid Reference:
SO 56450 84358

Details



SO 58 SE; 482-1/3/117

CLEE ST MARGARET

Church of St Margaret 11/12/54

GV

II*

Church. C11, C13 and C15; 1872 restoration, 1897 additions. Stone rubble with some herringbone work on two chancel walls. Ashlar dressings. Plain-tile roofs with ornamental ridge tiles. PLAN: chancel, nave with south porch, north vestry and integral belfry. EXTERIOR: chancel with restored Early English lancet to east. C11 round-headed lancet to north. To south is one Decorated pointed arched window with two cusped lights, and narrow priest's door with flat plain tympanum. Nave north wall: to left are two lancets in Early English style; gabled vestry extension to right. South wall with Decorated pointed arch with three orders of sunk chamfers on surround to right, to left a restored twin cusped lancet with flat head, C12 south door in centre with segmental arch on plain abacus with rounded colonnettes. Boarded and cross-boarded door containing some medieval boards. West wall with restored lancet. Stone south ~ porch is a late C19 restoration. Bellcote remodelled 1897 with open arcade under a tiled pyramid roof.

INTERIOR: chancel with 2-bay double trenched-purlin roof with straight wind braces. Two trusses, each with cambered tie beam, vertical struts, and collar with raking struts. Chancel benches dated 1639. Small plain pointed chancel arch with plain abacus with restored moulded hoodmould and apex figure-head, the arch flanked by large hagioscopes. C17 panelled chancel gates. Nave: 3-bay restored single trenched-purlin roof with two trusses of collars, twin raking struts, steeply cambered tie beams. C19 queen-post truss inserted for belfry support. C17 panelled pulpit with carved panels. C17 plain carved bench ends with seat backs with moulded top edge. Plain Norman bowl font.



Listing NGR: SO5645084358

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
480310
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Cranage, DHS , An Architectural Account of the Churches of Shropshire, (1908)
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: Shropshire, (1958), 47

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 11 Nov 2004
Reference: IOE01/13592/28
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Paul Brittain. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].