This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.


List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.


List entry Number: 1380359



The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.


District: The City of Brighton and Hove

District Type: Unitary Authority


National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 26-Aug-1999

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 480447

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.



TQ3203NW MONTAGUE PLACE 577-1/48/524 (West side) Methodist Church and attached railings


Methodist church, now recording studios. Dated 1873, the plans dated 1 March, 1872. Designed by Thomas Lainson and built by John Fielder for the Rev. Martin. Red and brown brick set in English bond, dressings of stone as well as light red and white brick. Roofs of slate, tower roof of lead. PLAN: continuous nave and sanctuary of 3 bays, vestry at ritual south-east corner (all directions given hereafter are ritual), tower of 3 stages at south-west corner with entrance, and stair turret at north-west corner; between the tower and stair turret an open porch of 3 bays with lean-to roof of slate. Adaptation of Italian Romanesque forms in characteristic High Victorian manner. EXTERIOR: the east end has 2 round-arched lights with jambs of brick chamfered; stone sill and voussoirs; stone drip moulds above each with floral stops. In the gable above is a blocked roundel in stone. One the remaining elevations the motif of paired, round-arched lights under brick relieving arch is repeated with different details and in different materials. South-east, single-storey vestry with 4 round-arched lights in stone, now partly blocked; relieving arch in light and dark bricks unties all 4. South elevation has 3 pairs of coupled, round-arched windows with chamfered brick jambs and arches which are subordered in stone; stone shafts with ballflower capitals separate each pair of lights; relieving arch above in white and light red brick. At the sill of the windows runs a continuous frieze of stylized flowers. The basement windows have brick, camber-arched lintels. South-east bell tower of 3 stages, square in plan with pyramidal roof splaying to short, octagonal spire; triangular dormer with bell louvres to each of the 8 faces. In the first stage a gabled porch to the south, with a round-arched entrance; window in west face of this is a window composed of 2, round-arched lights separated by a shaft with cushion capital, and set in a flush surround of stone with decorative patterns incised into the surface. All remaining windows round arched. There is a stone coved cornice and a brick corbel table below a parapet of light red and white bricks above. West elevation: Between the south-west tower and the north-west stair turret is an entry porch with a round-arched arcade of 3 bays supported by columns with pink granite shafts and moulded stone abaci; 3 round-arched windows above are linked by common architrave; former hood moulding stops have naturalistic ornament. Round-arched west entrance, subordered with moulded brick; stone tympanum has roundels carved with representations of the Paschal Lamb and flowers surrounded by grape vine. One round-arched window to either side of entry; paired, camber-arched windows to basement area. There is round-arched door set into the west face of the stair turret to the left; above are 3 stepped, round-arched lights; the turret terminates in a corbel table and lean-to roof ending just below the gable kneelers. The gable is filled with a wheel window. A stone plaque below the west window in the first stage of the tower bears the following, partially obscured inscription: "This memorial stone was laid by Daniel Pratt ?Soui??, October 7th, A.D. 1873, the Rev. Ieho? Martin, Pastor, Thos. Lainson Arch., John Fielder Builder, Hitherto Hath the Lord Helped Us". A timber-framed roof survives and can be inspected from the top-floor flat.

Listing NGR: TQ3220503907

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: TQ 32205 03907


© Crown Copyright and database right 2017. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2017. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1380359 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 21-Sep-2017 at 06:48:54.

End of official listing