MONUMENT TO MARTHA GUNN IN CHURCHYARD OF ST NICHOLAS OF MYRA

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1380389
Date first listed:
26-Aug-1999
Statutory Address:
MONUMENT TO MARTHA GUNN IN CHURCHYARD OF ST NICHOLAS OF MYRA, CHURCH STREET
Statutory Address:
MONUMENT TO MARTHA GUNN IN CHURCHYARD OF ST NICHOLAS OF MYRA, DYKE ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of MONUMENT TO MARTHA GUNN IN CHURCHYARD OF ST NICHOLAS OF MYRA
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1380389 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 22-Oct-2019 at 15:13:09.

Location

Statutory Address:
MONUMENT TO MARTHA GUNN IN CHURCHYARD OF ST NICHOLAS OF MYRA, CHURCH STREET
Statutory Address:
MONUMENT TO MARTHA GUNN IN CHURCHYARD OF ST NICHOLAS OF MYRA, DYKE ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
The City of Brighton and Hove (Unitary Authority)
National Grid Reference:
TQ 30780 04494

Details

BRIGHTON

TQ3004SE DYKE ROAD 577-1/39/1168 (East side) Monument to Martha Gunn in churchyard of the Church of St Nicholas of Myra

GV II

Includes: Monument to Martha Gunn in churchyard of Church of St Nicholas of Myra CHURCH STREET. Headstone to Martha Gunn. c1815. Stone. 3m from the south-east corner of the church. Coffin shaped bodystone and footstone. Martha Gunn was the most famous of the Brighton 'dippers', women who were employed to plunge women bathers into the sea in the second half of the C18 and first half of the C19; she was active from c1750 to 1814.



Listing NGR: TQ3078004494

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
480502
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 03 Jul 2007
Reference: IOE01/16592/31
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Ron Garvey. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].