This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.


List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.


List entry Number: 1380440



The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.


District: The City of Brighton and Hove

District Type: Unitary Authority


National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 22-Mar-1988

Date of most recent amendment: 26-Aug-1999

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 480569

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.



TQ3105SW DITCHLING ROAD 577-1/27/194 (West side) 22/03/88 Brighton Business Centre (Formerly Listed as: DITCHLING ROAD Former Army Records Office)


Diocesan Training College for School Mistresses, now business centre. 1854. Designed by WG and E Habershon, for the Diocese of Chichester; extended in 1886 to the designs of Scott and Cawthorne of Brighton. Dated 1854 on a shield over the entrance and on rainwater heads. Yellow brick to base and quoins, knapped flint with stone dressings, roof of tiles. EXTERIOR: 2 storeys over half-basement, 7-window range to south. E-shaped in plan to front and to back, the back wings a good deal longer. Steps up to pointed segmental-arched porch and entrance in the central gabled wing, the porch flanked by small trefoiled lancets with shared hoodmoulds and string; paired trefoiled lancets to basement; the ground floor has paired trefoiled lancets grouped in fours to the main range, and simpler lancets in pairs to the returns of the end wings; full dormers to the first floor with 2 trefoiled lights and moulded stone kneelers; the end wings have, on their south faces, canted oriel with elaborately moulded corbelling and windows of 5 trefoiled lights to the ground floor, and a 3-light pointed segmental-arched window under a hoodmould with stops to the first floor; there is a similar window over the entrance. Ridge stacks, now lower; the west side is detailed as for the south range, with a cross-gable at the north-west corner. The east side in Ditchling Road has 4 trefoiled lancets to the south on the ground floor, then a former bellcote; then 4 flat-arched windows and then a pointed segmental-arched carriage entrance; full dormers to the first floor. INTERIOR: not inspected. (Carder T: The Encyclopaedia of Brighton: Lewes: 1990-).

Listing NGR: TQ3146805398

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Carder, T, Encyclopaedia of Brighton, (1990)

National Grid Reference: TQ 31468 05398


© Crown Copyright and database right 2017. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2017. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1380440 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 18-Oct-2017 at 05:46:17.

End of official listing