This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.


List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.


List entry Number: 1380504



The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.


District: The City of Brighton and Hove

District Type: Unitary Authority


National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 26-Aug-1999

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 480736

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.



TQ3106 FLORENCE PLACE 577-1/13/282 (East side) Jewish Cemetery Chapel


Cemetery chapel. 1893. By Lainson and Son, built by Messrs Garrett. Gauged red brick set in Flemish bond, roof of tiles. Single-storey. 'Queen Anne' style. Octagonal in plan, the faces separated by broad, buttress-like piers about 7 feet high, surmounted by consoles; above this a narrower pier, one brick wide, continues up to a finial above the parapet. Entrance in west front, flat-arched with moulded architrave, swelling frieze and pediment, and above it a brick panel in the form of an apron decorated with festoons; windows round-arched with moulded architraves and festooned panel above; the panels are interrupted by a band which is continuous except where it meets the angle piers; cornice; parapet decorated with quatrefoil panels, possibly in terracotta; shallow octagonal roof with wrought-iron finial. INTERIOR: not inspected. (Builder: 10 June 1893).

Listing NGR: TQ3158506031

Selected Sources

Books and journals
'The Builder' in 10 June, (1893)

National Grid Reference: TQ 31585 06031


© Crown Copyright and database right 2017. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2017. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1380504 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 22-Sep-2017 at 02:03:45.

End of official listing