ISLEWORTH WAR MEMORIAL

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1380571
Date first listed:
03-Jul-2000
Statutory Address:
ISLEWORTH WAR MEMORIAL, JUNCTION OF SOUTH STREET/TWICKENHAM ROAD

Map

© Crown Copyright and database right 2021. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2021. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1380571.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 16-Jan-2021 at 01:10:56.

Location

Statutory Address:
ISLEWORTH WAR MEMORIAL, JUNCTION OF SOUTH STREET/TWICKENHAM ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Greater London Authority
District:
Hounslow (London Borough)
National Grid Reference:
TQ 16196 75791

Details



TQ1675NW JUNCTION OF SOUTH STREET/TWICKENHAM ROAD 787/24/10104 Isleworth War Memorial 03-JUL-00

GV II



War memorial, in form of clock tower. 1922 by A. P. Green, built by Keates and Company of Hampton, in honour of the 386 Isleworth men killed in the First World War. Tower of Clipsham stone, York stone steps, Portland stone panels. Comprises 29ft high slightly battered tower with clock face to each elevation set on square base of two steps ( 10ft and 11ft square) and surmounted by ornamented stone cross. Chamfered plinth, the main (south) face bearing inscription noting erection by public subscription and unveiling on 22nd June 1922. Tall base with entrance to north elevation, eight panelled oak door in plain architrave with chamfered reveals, giving access to clock mechanism. Other elevations, Portland stone panel each bearing the names of the dead. Entablature with deep cornice, frieze inscribed on each face Isleworth Remembrance in Gothic lettering with the date 1914 - 1918 on the south face. Battered tower, incised at the angles, each elevation with clock face set in reeded bull's eye. Below, on south elevation, Crusader's sword and wreath. Deep moulded cornice. Stone cross. Clock supplied by Messrs. Gillett and Johnston of Croydon. Further memorial slab to 1939 - 45 war dead set against south steps.

[The Middlesex Chronicle, 17th Jan. 1920 ( page 8), 12th June 1920 ( page8), 4th June 1921 (page8), 2nd July 1921 (page7), 7th Jan 1922 (page 8), 27th May 1922 (page 8), 24th June 1922 (page 3). ]



This List entry has been amended to add sources for War Memorials Online and the War Memorials Register. These sources were not used in the compilation of this List entry but are added here as a guide for further reading, 16 February 2017.

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
480862
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
'Middlesex Chronicle' in 24th June, (1922), 3
'Middlesex Chronicle' in 4th June, (1921), 8
'Middlesex Chronicle' in 27th May, (1922), 8
'Middlesex Chronicle' in 17th January, (1920), 8
'Middlesex Chronicle' in 12th June, (1920), 8
'Middlesex Chronicle' in 2nd July, (1921), 7
'Middlesex Chronicle' in 7th January, (1922), 8
Websites
War Memorials Online, accessed 16 February 2017 from https://www.warmemorialsonline.org.uk/memorial/119917
War Memorials Register, accessed 16 February 2017 from http://www.iwm.org.uk/memorials/item/memorial/2668

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 25 Sep 2007
Reference: IOE01/16980/18
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Anthony Rau. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].