This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.


List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.


List entry Number: 1380618



The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.


District: The City of Brighton and Hove

District Type: Unitary Authority


National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 20-Aug-1971

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 480941

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.



TQ3104SW NORTH STREET 577-1/40/601 (South side) 20/08/71 Nos.30 AND 31 The Clarence Hotel and attached railings


Inn, now offices. 1785, extended in 1811; restored c1990, when Georgian Revival shop front inserted at left party wall. Painted mathematical tiles simulating Flemish bond; stucco cement dressings. Hipped roof of tile. EXTERIOR: 4 storeys over basement. 8-window range. Steps up to a broad, round-arched entrance, its fanlight filled with decorative glazing bars and its jambs treated as Tuscan pilasters. The stairs, landing and entrance are set under a prostyle porch consisting of a pair of Tuscan columns, responds, and entablature with deep projecting cornice. The top of the porch is enclosed by cast-iron railings to form a balcony. The entrance is set in the 4th-window range. To the left of it late C20 shop front set behind distyle in antis aedicule; the location and scale of the shop balances the carriageway on the other side of the entrance porch. A single window between the entrance and shop; like the rest it is camber arched with a projecting sill. 2 windows to the right of the entrance. Although the window ranges and features align vertically, window ranges one to 5 are more widely spaced than the rest, an irregularity which marks the original and 1785 building from the addition of 1811. In addition the heights of the second and third floors gradually diminish, the latter approaching the proportions of an attic storey. A modillioned cornice runs across the entire elevation and supports shallow, guttered eaves. Brick stacks to party walls and another between the 6th- and 7th-window ranges. Areas to either side of the entrance are enclosed by cast-iron railings. Repair plate to upper left of carriageway. INTERIOR: not inspected. HISTORICAL NOTE: this structure is the only remaining example of the inns which lined North Street. First called the New Inn, it was built and run by Mr. Wichelo, a brewer, and by 1812 had a coffee room, a billiard room along with sitting rooms, kitchens and 26 bedrooms. Model dwellings were erected in the rear court in the 1850s, by which point the area had become Brighton's most notorious slum. The magistrates court was established here in 1808 and returned in 1821-23. In 1830 the name was changed to The Clarence in honour of William IV, formerly Duke of Clarence. The hotel closed only in 1972. After lying empty it was reopened in 1979 as the headquarters of a building society. In the late 1980s it was restored and converted into offices. (Carder T: The Encyclopaedia of Brighton: Lewes: 1990-: 112C; School of Architecture and Interior Design, Brighton Polytechnic: A Guide to the Buildings of Brighton: Macclesfield, Chester: 1987-: 5Q).

Listing NGR: TQ3105104234

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Carder, T, Encyclopaedia of Brighton, (1990), 112C
School of Architecture, , Interior Design, Brighton Polytechnic, A Guide to the Buildings of Brighton, (1987), 5Q

National Grid Reference: TQ 31051 04234


© Crown Copyright and database right 2017. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2017. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1380618 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 18-Oct-2017 at 12:59:59.

End of official listing