Rolvenden War Memorial
Heritage Category: Listed Building
List Entry Number: 1381140
Date first listed: 01-Aug-2000
Statutory Address: Hastings Road, Rolvenden
The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1381140 .pdf
The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.
This copy shows the entry on 14-Dec-2018 at 19:32:34.
Statutory Address: Hastings Road, Rolvenden
The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.
District: Ashford (District Authority)
National Grid Reference: TQ8447231237
First World War memorial, 1922, by Sir Edwin Lutyens.
Reasons for Designation
Rolvenden War Memorial is listed at Grade II for the following principle reasons: * Historic interest: as an eloquent witness to the tragic impacts of world events on this community, and the sacrifices it made in the First World War; * Architect: by the nationally renowned architect Sir Edwin Landseer Lutyens (1869-1944), who designed extant 58 memorials at home and abroad including the Cenotaph in Whitehall; * Design: a notably tall, spare, cross; * Group value: with the Grade I-listed Church of St Mary, and with the Grade II-listed row of C16 and later cottages 8-22 Hastings Road.
Rolvenden’s war memorial was discussed at a meeting of the parish War Memorial Committee on 10 January 1919. This was chaired by Harold ‘Jack’ Tennant, for whom Lutyens had designed the nearby house Great Maytham and who contributed substantially to the subscription fund. A site alongside the church was identified, and an old carpenter’s shop which occupied it was purchased and demolished. Lutyens was approached in December 1919, and visited in summer 1920.
Acquisition of the site had greatly reduced the funds available, and it was this which led to the request from the committee to Lutyens for a simple design. A wooden mock-up of what he proposed was erected, the design refined, and an estimate of £215 obtained from Messrs Wallis of Maidstone for construction. There were then delays, with strong feeling among the parish’s 60 ex-servicemen against the co-location of the memorial alongside the church. In the event objections were set aside, and construction began in mid-1922. The eventual cost was £255, plus Lutyens’ 10 per cent and £6 out-of-pocket expenses. The memorial was unveiled on 8 November 1922 by the Archbishop of Canterbury.
Sir Edwin Lutyens OM RA (1869-1944) was the leading English architect of his generation. Before the First World War his reputation rested on his country houses and his work at New Delhi, but during and after the war he became the pre-eminent architect for war memorials in England, France and the British Empire. While the Cenotaph in Whitehall (London) had the most influence on other war memorials, the Thiepval Arch was the most influential on other forms of architecture. He designed the Stone of Remembrance which was placed in all Imperial War Graves Commission cemeteries and in some cemeteries in England, including some with which he was not otherwise associated.
This list entry was subject to a Minor Amendment on 26/10/2015
The memorial is an atypical Lutyens design in the form of a tall, notably slender, cross of Clipsham stone standing on an octagonal plinth. That in turn is set on a base of three, circular, stone steps. Metal plaques on the plinth carry the inscriptions: AT THE/ GOING DOWN/ OF THE SUN/ AND IN/ THE MORNING/ WE WILL REMEMBER/ THEM/ (NAMES).
This List entry has been amended to add sources for War Memorials Online and the War Memorials Register. These sources were not used in the compilation of this List entry but are added here as a guide for further reading, 28 November 2016
The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.
Legacy System number: 481500
Legacy System: LBS
Books and journals
Skelton, T, Gliddon, G, Lutyens and the Great War, (2008), 85-7
War Memorials Online, accessed 28 November 2016 from https://www.warmemorialsonline.org.uk/memorial/121324
War Memorials Register, accessed 28 November 2016 from http://www.iwm.org.uk/memorials/item/memorial/1186
This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.
End of official listing