THE VICTORIA PUBLIC HOUSE

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1381263
Date first listed:
17-Jul-2000
Statutory Address:
THE VICTORIA PUBLIC HOUSE, 86, HALLGARTH STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of THE VICTORIA PUBLIC HOUSE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1381263.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 07-Dec-2019 at 02:21:19.

Location

Statutory Address:
THE VICTORIA PUBLIC HOUSE, 86, HALLGARTH STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
County Durham (Unitary Authority)
National Grid Reference:
NZ 27733 41989

Details



NZ2741NE HALLGARTH STREET 1914/17/10015 86 17-JUL-00 The Victoria public house

II



Public house. 1899 by Joseph Oswald. MATERIALS: red brick rising from a buff sandstone plinth, with sandstone dressings and a Welsh slated roof covering with red clay ridge tiles. Eaves chimney stacks. PLAN: acutely -angled street corner site with public bar in angle. Behind, 2 further public rooms, with screened- off 'Family Department' or off-licence to rear EXTERIOR: 2 storeys. Two 3-light mullioned windows to ground floor and , to right, an entrance with illustrated panel depicting Queen Victoria's head, and dated 1899. Above single-light transomed window and to left of this two single-light sash windows. Dormer window with 2 over 2 pane sash window. At the acute angle of the building, a doorway with double, panelled door and rectangular overlight. Single-light sash window to first floor, and 1 and 2-light windows to the return, with slightly raised surrounds to windows and doorways. INTERIOR: internal porch at the angle of the 2 streets, with mosaic floor. Public bar with bar counter curved to follow shape of room, with match boarded front. Tiered bar-back with wide segmental arches at top. Fixed seating. Matchboarded dado. In lower parts of windows movable panes with etched glass. Ornate black painted wooden fire surround containing embossed blue tiles in lower part and circular mirror above. 'Family Department', as described in etched and polished glass in doorway to it, entered from side passage. It is formed by a panelled screen projecting into public bar, with etched and cut glass above, and incorporating a hatch to servery. Front Sitting Room with small, panelled counter, match boarded dado, and a fireplace similar to that in public bar. Rear Sitting Room with match board dado and mottled marble fire surround, sliding door to servery, bell pushes.

Listing NGR: NZ2773341989

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
481623
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].