BRIGHTON EXTRA MURAL CEMETERY FORD MAUSOLEUM AND ATTACHED RAILINGS

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1381664
Date first listed:
26-Aug-1999
Statutory Address:
BRIGHTON EXTRA MURAL CEMETERY FORD MAUSOLEUM AND ATTACHED RAILINGS, LEWES ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of BRIGHTON EXTRA MURAL CEMETERY FORD MAUSOLEUM AND ATTACHED RAILINGS
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1381664.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 24-Oct-2019 at 02:52:27.

Location

Statutory Address:
BRIGHTON EXTRA MURAL CEMETERY FORD MAUSOLEUM AND ATTACHED RAILINGS, LEWES ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
The City of Brighton and Hove (Unitary Authority)
National Grid Reference:
TQ 32531 05797

Details

BRIGHTON

TQ3205NE LEWES ROAD 577-1/24/380 (East side) Brighton Extra Mural Cemetery: Ford mausoleum and attached railings

GV II

Mausoleum of Gerard Ford. 1830-1889. Approx 90 metres east of the cemetery chapel (qv). Dressed stone and polished granite; roof of stone. Gothic style. Pointed-arched entrance with elaborately subordered and gabled porch to east, doors of grey polished granite; clasping buttresses to all corners; the north and south sides have a pair of round-arched panels with engaged columns of pink polished granite, foliage capitals and hoodmoulds, those to the south having inscriptions; west end has a pointed-arched arcade of 6 bays with columns of pink polished granite and a west window of 3 lights and 2 transoms giving the effect of a columbarium; roof of stone slabs, the gable-mouldings missing in places; railings of cast and wrought-iron surround the mausoleum.





Listing NGR: TQ3253105797

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
482027
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 03 Jul 2007
Reference: IOE01/16551/23
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Peter Keeble. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].