This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.


List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.


List entry Number: 1381674



The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.


District: The City of Brighton and Hove

District Type: Unitary Authority


National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 13-Oct-1952

Date of most recent amendment: 26-Aug-1999

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 482037

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.



TQ3103NW LITTLE EAST STREET 577-1/46/390 (East side) 13/10/52 No.6 (Formerly Listed as: LITTLE EAST STREET No.6 Andrew's Cottage)


Originally 2 shops. Late C18 or early C19, combined in 1845. Stucco scored to imitate ashlaring. Roof of tile. 2 storeys over basement. Each unit has one window-range. The ground floor is taken up by 2 early shop fronts, that on the right being slightly narrower than that on the left. Each front consists of a segmental bay window, to the right of which is a flat-arched entrance. Each entrance topped by an entablature with a broad, projecting cornice supported by a pair of console brackets. Entablature with modillioned cornice runs across the top of both fronts; the cornice terminates at the left in a console bracket stop. Flat-arched windows to first floor. Guttered eaves. Stack to left party wall. INTERIOR: not inspected. HISTORICAL NOTE: in the early C19 the left hand unit was home to a stationer's shop and the right to an ironmongery and hardware store. In 1845 the whole building became a fishing tackle shop run by Samuel Andrew, whose family ran the business until the Second World War. Commonly known as "Andrew's Cottage" it became a tailor's shop before becoming a cafe-restaurant with a music licence. (Carder T: The Encyclopaedia of Brighton: Lewes: 1990-: 115L).

Listing NGR: TQ3113603942

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Carder, T, Encyclopaedia of Brighton, (1990), 115L

National Grid Reference: TQ 31136 03942


© Crown Copyright and database right 2017. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2017. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1381674 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 24-Sep-2017 at 06:40:26.

End of official listing