This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.


List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.


List entry Number: 1381754



The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.


District: The City of Brighton and Hove

District Type: Unitary Authority


National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 26-Aug-1999

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 482118

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.



TQ3203NE MARINE PARADE 577-1/49/478 (South side) Railings running the length of Marine Parade


Railings running from the top of Duke's Mound at the eastern end of Marine Parade to the main entrance to the Brighton Sea Life Centre at the western end (qv). 1880, and apparently so dated on some piers, though the last digit is consistently indecipherable. Some of the railings have a makers' mark of J Every, Lewes; some may have been made by C Reed and Son of Brighton. Cast-iron and teak. The railings consist typically of sections about 2 metres in length, separated by cast-iron piers with rounded mouldings on the outer edge and a rounded head; each section is divided into 3 panels and the lower part of each panel has diagonal cross-pieces with a roundel at the centre carrying municipal emblems; the upper part of each section has circular upper rail of teak. The railings start at the east end with a squat pier whose faces are decorated with panels, some carrying municipal emblems and the date; elaborate entablature and gadrooned finial. There are short recesses or bays in the line of the railings, facing out to sea, opposite the end of Chichester Place, Percival Terrace, 155 Marine Parade (qv), the end of Portland Place, Crescent Place, 82 Marine Parade (qv), Marine Gardens, the end of Atlingworth Street and the end of Lower Rock Gardens; there are also similar recesses giving onto steps or ramps down to Madeira Drive, with railings of the same design, opposite Paston Place, Royal Crescent, the end of Bedford Street, 63 Marine Parade (qv) and Rock Place. The railings continue round Madeira Lift, but to a lighter and later design, and that design is also used on a set of steps down to the terrace opposite the end of Margaret Street. Opposite Madeira Place the railings are interrupted by the lift to the Brighton Sea Life Centre, and then continue as far as the principal entrance to the Sea Life Centre. (Builder: 23 July 1881).

Listing NGR: TQ3260903588

Selected Sources

Books and journals
'The Builder' in 23 July, (1881)

National Grid Reference: TQ 32609 03588


© Crown Copyright and database right 2017. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2017. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1381754 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 20-Sep-2017 at 12:06:24.

End of official listing