Heritage Category:
Listed Building
List Entry Number:
Date first listed:
Statutory Address:


Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST LEONARD
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1381830.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 28-Feb-2020 at 00:30:36.


Statutory Address:

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

Stratford-on-Avon (District Authority)
National Grid Reference:
SP 26249 56552



SP25NE MAIN STREET, Charlecote 1901-1/2/13 (West side) 05/04/67 Church of St Leonard


Church. Rebuilt 1851-3. By John Gibson. For Mary Elizabeth Lucy. Limestone with hammered finish and ashlar dressings; steeply pitched graduated stone slate roof. PLAN: 4-bay nave and 2-bay chancel with Lucy chapel to north, and south-east tower. Decorated Gothic Revival style. EXTERIOR: moulded plinth; sill courses and top cornices with foliated ornament and coped parapets; gabled buttresses, and coped gables with crosses. Chancel has 5-light east window with Geometrical tracery and hood with head stops, the sill raised over panel with raised lettering: THIS IS NONE OTHER THAN THE HOUSE OF GOD; cusped spherical triangle window to gable which has broken gable cross; diagonal buttress with rich crocketed gables with angel corbels. South side has 2-light window flanked by buttresses, cornice with gargoyles. 2-stage tower with spire: lower stage has offset set-back buttresses, pointed entrance has moulded arch to plank door and small light above and to each return. Octagonal upper stage has gablets over cusped lancets, gabled buttresses to diagonals; weathered courses to base of bell-stage with cusped and gabled opening to each side, beast corbels and spire with fillets and cross. North chapel has east rose window with cusped lenticular window to gable; sill course raised over panel with lettering: I AM THE RESURRECTION AND THE LIFE; diagonal buttress. North side has 2 buttresses between 3 spherical triangle windows with hoods, the outer windows traceried, central blind window with lozenge bearing Lucy Arms impaling Williams Arms for M E Lucy and date: 1851; 3 panels with lettering: AS IN ADAM ALL DIE EVEN SO IN CHRIST SHALL ALL BE MADE ALIVE. North-west angle has octagonal turret with entrance and bell-stage and spire as above; west end has panel reading: I KNOW THAT MY REDEEMER LIVETH. Nave north and south sides have full-height buttresses with gargoyles in the form of crouched beasts between 2-light windows with Geometrical tracery and hoods. West end has diagonal buttresses; entrance of 2 orders with foliate capitals and leaf trail to hollow moulding, and paired traceried doors; to each side a 3-bay blind arcade with benches, foliate capitals and continuous hood with head stops and stops with symbols of Evangelists; 2 spherical triangles above have rib bands with lettering: FEAR THE LORD and PRAY TO GOD; rose window with ballflower to moulded opening and lenticular window to gable. INTERIOR: chancel has clustered wall shafts to vaulted roof with tiercerons, liernes and richly carved bosses; traceried arch over canopies to sedilia; arches to organ loft and chapel have continuous moulding; enriched relief panel with inscription to east. Chapel has waggon roof with moulded ribs and carved bosses; similar roof to organ loft said to be C15 roof from chancel of former church. Chancel arch of 2 orders with moulding between and lettering; nave has wall shafts and lierne vault. FITTINGS: most woodwork by Gibson including chancel stalls to west bay with rich gabled canopies to double-cusped arches, fronts with ogee arches to shields. Chapel has screen with 2-light traceried openings with colonnettes and armorial bearings over traceried blind panels, foliate cornice and crest. Nave has richly carved font by Gibson with angels with shields between ogee arches with crocketed gables and pinnacles; traceried pew ends; pulpit and lectern are richly carved oak. MONUMENTS: 3 notable monuments to the Lucy family in the north chapel. To east: Sir Thomas, d.1600, and Lady Joyce, d.1595: alabaster chest tomb has widened chest with slate panels between panelled pilasters, fluted frieze and moulded top edge; 2 recumbent effigies, and panel above with inscription to Lady Joyce, entablature and 3 armorial bearings. To west: Sir Thomas, d.1605, and Lady Constance, d.1637: alabaster altar tomb with recumbent effigy flanked by black Corinthian columns supporting projections of entablature, one retaining arms, and both with obelisk; back has 2 arched relief panels and entablature with Lucy Arms to frieze, and top crest (figure missing); children in relief to chest and free-standing widow kneeling to front, all facing north. To North: Sir Thomas, d.1640, and Lady Alice: white and black marble chest tomb with plain panelled chest, one inscribed, 4 black Corinthian columns to front support arches with cartouches or masks to keys; entablature has skulls to angles and central broken segmental pediment with Lucy Arms to cartouche; recumbent female figure and semi-reclining male figure, rear relief panels of landscape with horseman and books; attributed to Nicholas Stone with figures by John Schoerman. STAINED GLASS: chancel east window by T Willement; eastern north window to nave by CE Kempe, c1890; nave west window and others by O'Connor. A very fine example of a C19 estate church with outstanding C16 and C17 monuments, which forms an important group with the buildings of Charlecote Park (qv). (The Buildings of England: Pevsner, N & Wedgwood, A: Warwickshire: Harmondsworth: 1966-: 226-7; Shell Guides: Hickman D: Warwickshire: London: 1979-: 74-5; St Leonard's Church, Charlecote church leaflet).

Listing NGR: SP2625256554


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
Legacy System:


Books and journals
Pevsner, N, Wedgwood, A, The Buildings of England: Warwickshire, (1966), 226-7
Hickman, D, 'Shell Guide' in Warwickshire, ()
St. Leonard's Church, Charlecote, Leaflet,


This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 03 Sep 2006
Reference: IOE01/15834/30
Rights: Copyright IoE Helmut Schulenburg. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].