CHURCH OF ST MARY AND ST MARGARET

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1381849
Date first listed:
02-Aug-1972
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST MARY AND ST MARGARET, VILLAGE STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST MARY AND ST MARGARET
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1381849.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 28-Feb-2020 at 07:03:24.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST MARY AND ST MARGARET, VILLAGE STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Warwickshire
District:
Stratford-on-Avon (District Authority)
Parish:
Combrook
National Grid Reference:
SP 30762 51708

Details

COMBROOK

SP35SW VILLAGE STREET, Combrook 1901-1/6/50 (South East side) 02/08/72 Church of St Mary and St Margaret

GV II

Church. 1866. By John Gibson, incorporating chancel of 1831 with alterations. MATERIALS: coursed limestone rubble with ironstone dressings; steeply pitched old and renewed tile roof. PLAN: 2-bay chancel and 5-bay nave with lean-to aisles and bellcote. c1300 style. Coped gables. EXTERIOR: chancel has a 3-light traceried east window; north and south sides have straight-headed 2-light windows. Aisles have diagonal buttresses and 2-light windows with head stops to hood moulds in gabled half-dormers. West entrance has elaborate open-work cusped gable on shafts with foliated capitals and large angel corbels; rose window above. Gable has bellcote with spire and weather-vane; angels to angles. INTERIOR: flower-pot shaped font is possibly medieval. STAINED GLASS: east window by Willement c1866; good glass to west window. (The Buildings of England: Pevsner N & Wedgwood A: Warwickshire: Harmondsworth: 1966-: 238-9; Victoria County Histories: Styles P: Victoria History of the County of Warwickshire: 1945-: 107).



Listing NGR: SP3076251708

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
482214
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Doubleday, AH, Page, W, The Victoria History of the County of Warwick, (1945), 107
Pevsner, N, Wedgwood, A, The Buildings of England: Warwickshire, (1966), 238-9

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 28 Jun 2004
Reference: IOE01/12382/11
Rights: Copyright IoE Helmut Schulenburg. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].