CHURCH OF ST JAMES APPROXIMATELY 50 METRES NORTH OF WALTON HALL

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1381988
Date first listed:
05-Apr-1967
Date of most recent amendment:
19-Aug-1999
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST JAMES APPROXIMATELY 50 METRES NORTH OF WALTON HALL

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST JAMES APPROXIMATELY 50 METRES NORTH OF WALTON HALL
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1381988.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 28-Feb-2020 at 07:07:42.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST JAMES APPROXIMATELY 50 METRES NORTH OF WALTON HALL

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Warwickshire
District:
Stratford-on-Avon (District Authority)
Parish:
Wellesbourne
National Grid Reference:
SP 28501 52432

Details

WELLESBOURNE

SP25SE WALTON 1901-1/5/188 Church of St James approximately 50 05/04/67 metres north of Walton Hall (Formerly Listed as: WALTON Church of St James, Walton Hall)

GV II

Church. Rebuilt 1750 for Sir Charles Mordaunt; enlarged 1842 for Sir John Mordaunt. Limestone ashlar on dressed stone plinth; slate roof. PLAN: 3-bay nave and straight-ended chancel projection. EXTERIOR: 1842 chancel has angle pilasters and top entablature; Venetian east window and tall return windows with eared architraves, friezes and cornices. Nave has top cornice; windows to north and south have eared architraves, friezes and cornices, and a similar small vestry window to west end of north side. West end has pediment with 1842 bellcote in form of triumphal arch with pediment; c1900 Diocletian window above entrance which has Doric porch with triglyph frieze and guttae, and paired 3-fielded-panel doors with similar panels above. INTERIOR: dates from mostly 1842 extensions: flagged floor. Chancel has coffered barrel vault and rich mouldings to east window including band of scrolly foliage round arch. Nave walls have sill course with imbricated moulding to windows with eared architraves, friezes and cornices; rich frieze and cornice with paired acanthus modillions; coved and coffered ceiling has 3 large wheel motifs; west gallery, extended forward c1900, on timber antae with Greek Revival capitals; panelling to vestry in north-west angle incorporates 1842 stained-glass roundel from east window. FITTINGS: pudding-basin font of uncertain date, with C19 base; most furniture dates from alterations of c1900, including benches, reading desks and pulpit with guilloche mouldings and some marquetry. STAINED GLASS: 1897 east window by Clayton and Bell, similar adjacent windows dated 1905 and 1907; nave north windows dated 1902 and 1933, the latter by Maile and Son of London; south windows have 1900 decorative stained glass of roundels with undulating border. HISTORY: the original church served the lost medieval village of Walton d'Eivile, which stood to the south of Walton Hall, and which disappeared in the C16. (The Buildings of England: Pevsner, N & Wedgwood, A: Warwickshire: Harmondsworth: 1966-: 441; Hamilton, E: A History of St James's Church, Walton d'Eivile: Walton: 1988-).



Listing NGR: SP2850152432

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
482353
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Hamilton, E , A History of St. James's Church, Walton d'Eivile, (1988)
Pevsner, N, Wedgwood, A, The Buildings of England: Warwickshire, (1966), 441

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 02 Sep 2005
Reference: IOE01/14779/03
Rights: Copyright IoE Helmut Schulenburg. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].