Heritage Category:
Listed Building
List Entry Number:
Date first listed:
Date of most recent amendment:
Statutory Address:


Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST PETER AD VINCULA
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1382119.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 28-Feb-2020 at 06:43:53.


Statutory Address:

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

Stratford-on-Avon (District Authority)
Hampton Lucy
National Grid Reference:
SP 25647 57013


SP25NE 1457-1/10/62

HAMPTON LUCY, CHURCH STREET (South side), Church of St Peter Ad Vincula

(Formerly Listed as: HAMPTON LUCY Church of St Peter and Vincula)



Church. 1822-6. By Thomas Rickman and Hutchinson. For Rev John Lucy. Chancel and porch added and other alterations, 1858 by Sir Gilbert Scott. Limestone ashlar; slate and lead roofs. STYLE: Decorated. PLAN single-bay chancel with polygonal apse; 6-bay nave with lean-to aisles, 3-stage west tower and 2-storey north porch. EXTERIOR: moulded plinth, top cornice and pierced crenellated parapets and pierced coped gables; buttresses have richly crocketed pinnacles; window hoods with head stops; much rich carving. Apse has 5 faces, 3-light windows with Decorated tracery in arches of 2 orders under traceried crocketed free-standing gables between gabled buttresses with pinnacles and figures. East end of chancel has pierced coping and flanking buttresses with pinnacles to tabernacles; 3-light north and south windows as to apse, but gables against wall. Clerestory has gabled buttresses with pinnacles, top cornice and pierced crenellated parapet; east end has octagonal pinnacles with cornices and pierced friezes with brattishing; 2-light windows with Decorated tracery. Aisles have cornices and traceried parapets continued as coping; gabled buttresses with pinnacles between 3-light windows with cast-iron Decorated tracery; east end of north aisle has entrance with continuous moulding, but corresponding south aisle bay has window with spherical-lozenge tracery; north aisle west end has double-cusped light. South porch has top cornice and parapet with pierced quatrefoils; large octagonal pinnacles with gabled buttresses; canted stair turret to buttress to east; entrance of 2 orders now with glazed infill and Bishop and Queen headstops; canopied niche above has statue of St Peter in chains, flanking cusped lights above shields in panels; damaged gable cross. Tower has gabled buttresses and string courses; tall-bell stage has octagonal pinnacles with gabled buttresses, cornice and pierced parapet with finials; west entrance has deep gabled portal with rich ball-flower, stiff-leaf carving and Lucy arms, offset buttresses with pinnacles and flanking niches; paired plank doors with good wrought-iron work. North and south sides have 3-bay blind arcades, that to south with later 2-light window, north side with entrance to canted stair turret; second stage has 2-light window with cast-iron tracery; bell-stage has 2-light louvred bell-openings with Decorated tracery in deep moulded arches; clock face to front has gable and pinnacles. INTERIOR: chancel has wall shafts to lierne vault; chancel and apse arches of 4 orders; blind trefoil-headed arcading to apse has marble shafts, foliate capitals and spandrels, and crocketed gables between pinnacles; inlaid floor. Nave has tall 6-bay Perpendicular arcades with wall shafts to plaster quadripartite rib vaulting, and similar vaulting to aisles. Clerestory has cusped blind arches between windows; 1856 tower arch has entrance of 3 orders with cinquefoil over trumeau and pierced balustrade above, the west windows in shafted arched recess. North aisle has east bay enclosed by screens, each with pointed arch with ogee gable flanked by traceried openings. South aisle has east bay enclosed for vestry with trefoil-pointed entrance to west. FITTINGS: reredos of 5 trefoil-pointed arches, crocketed gables and pinnacles; richly carved choir stalls with traceried canopies and iron and brass panels to fronts. Richly carved wood pulpit on ashlar base with clustered marble shafts, handrail with metalwork by Skidmore. 2 original pew ends with cast-iron poppyheads, other pew ends brattished. Alabaster font has relief panels of Biblical scenes. C18 Royal Arms to south aisle in frame with Tudor- and ball-flower. STAINED GLASS: east window, dated 1826, by Willement; similar glass to some aisle windows, and decorative glass to clerestory and west windows; some glass to chancel probably by Clayton and Bell. The magnum opus of Rickman and Hutchinson (Pevsner) and a very good example of early C19 church architecture, the richness of which is due to the generosity of funding. (Buildings of England: Pevsner N: Warwickshire: Harmondsworth: 1966-: 305-6; Shell Guides: Hickman D: Warwickshire: London: 1979-: 108-111).

Listing NGR: SP2564457013


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
Legacy System:


Books and journals
Pevsner, N, Wedgwood, A, The Buildings of England: Warwickshire, (1966), 305-6
Hickman, D, 'Shell Guides' in Warwickshire, (1979), 108-111


This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 21 Sep 2004
Reference: IOE01/12865/12
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr David Morphew. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].