CHURCH OF ST JAMES THE GREAT

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
I
List Entry Number:
1382171
Date first listed:
05-Apr-1967
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST JAMES THE GREAT, CHURCH ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST JAMES THE GREAT
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1382171.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 20-Feb-2020 at 10:53:31.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST JAMES THE GREAT, CHURCH ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Warwickshire
District:
Stratford-on-Avon (District Authority)
Parish:
Snitterfield
National Grid Reference:
SP 21844 60095

Details

SNITTERFIELD

SP26SW CHURCH ROAD 1457-1/6/101 (South East side) 05/04/67 Church of St James the Great

GV I

Church. c1300 chancel; early C14 nave and aisles with C15 clerestory; late C14-C15 west tower with C18 and c1860 restorations. Coursed limestone with ashlar dressings; old tile roofs with coped gables. Chancel with north vestry, 4-bay nave with aisles and tower. EXTERIOR: chancel has moulded plinth, string course and top cornice; angle buttresses. Renewed 5-light east window and 3-light renewed north and south windows, all with intersecting tracery in moulded arches; Priest's doorway to south has plank door and moulded arch. Nave has clerestory with parapet and 2-light windows; aisles have windows with Y-tracery. 3-stage tower has west entrance with moulded arch to plank door; paired 2-light transomed bell-openings; plat band and crenellated parapet with finials. Some C18 and C19 exterior memorial tablets. INTERIOR: chancel has C18 roof and renewed double piscina. Nave has 4-bay arcades, that to north with octagonal piers and stilted arches, that to south has shafted piers with unusual capitals: shafts dying into bell forms; early C16 roof, possibly taken from Fulbrook Castle; tall triple-chamfered tower arch. FITTINGS: 2 stall fronts and 2 stall ends c1530 with good carving, Perpendicular details influenced by Renaissance forms; c1630 communion rail; C19 tiles; c1730 pulpit; good early C14 font with heads coming from underside. MONUMENTS: C18 and C19 wall memorials; 2 C18 hatchments to members of the family of the Earls of Coventry. STAINED GLASS: window by F Holt of Warwick, 1877; chancel has window to Smith family by Frampton. A good church with some unusual features and fittings. (Victoria County Histories: Styles P: Victoria History of the County of Warwickshire: 1945-: 167-72; Shell Guides: Hickman D: Warwickshire: London: 1979-: 154-5).





Listing NGR: SP2184260095

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
482537
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Styles, P, The Victoria History of the County of Warwickshire, (1945), 167-172
Hickman, D, 'Shell Guides' in Warwickshire, (1979), 154-155

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 30 Jun 2001
Reference: IOE01/06102/01
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Walter Chinn. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].