OLD CHURCH OF ST MARY

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1382493
Date first listed:
05-Apr-1967
Statutory Address:
OLD CHURCH OF ST MARY, CHAPEL LANE

Map

Ordnance survey map of OLD CHURCH OF ST MARY
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1382493.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 25-Feb-2020 at 16:30:53.

Location

Statutory Address:
OLD CHURCH OF ST MARY, CHAPEL LANE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Warwickshire
District:
Stratford-on-Avon (District Authority)
Parish:
Ullenhall
National Grid Reference:
SP 13068 67585

Details

ULLENHALL

SP16NW CHAPEL LANE 652-1/5/222 (East side) 05/04/67 Old Church of St Mary

GV II*

Church, comprises chancel of former church. C13 with probably C14 reused windows to south side and later additions and alterations including removal of nave and rebuilding of west wall and west porch in 1875. MATERIALS: lias stone with plain-tile roof. EXTERIOR: 2 bays. Chamfered plinth to north and south sides. Buttresses with off-sets to angles, and between bays. Entrance to porch has double plank doors in double-chamfered, 4-centred pointed arched surround. Slit windows to sides. West end has small lancet, coped gable and bellcote with sundial to side dated 1835. South side has 3 stepped trefoil-headed, ogeed lancets, probably reused from the nave; then pair of trefoil-headed lancets with sunk spandrels in the cusps, all with chamfered mullions and sills. North side easternmost bay has pair of trefoil-headed lancets with chamfered mullion and sill. East end has 3-light window with intersecting tracery, hoodmould and chamfered mullions and sill. INTERIOR: entrance has a pointed 4-centred double-chamfered arch with outer orders of roll and nail-head moulding on banded shafts with capitals ornamented with palms and vines and with water-holding bases; roll-moulding to hoodmould. The inner side of arch has roll-moulded basket arch. Windows have wide sills and splayed jambs. Rectangular aumbry to south wall at east end. Late medieval tiles to floor at east end. FITTINGS: ornate wrought-iron altar railings dated 1735, donated by church wardens J Ward and T Williams; hanging wrought-iron candelabra. Jacobean panelling remains to north and south walls. C15 octagonal font on plain shaft. MONUMENTS: English Renaissance-style wall monument to Francis Throckmorton d.1617, son of Michael Throckmorton of Coughton Court, born and died in Mantua, Italy, lived in England during reign of Queen Mary when he received lands in Honity, Blackwell, Packhurst, Windoerton and Ullenhall; inscription tablet bordered by strapwork and 2 Corinthian columns and surmounted by 2 putti (illustrated in Dugdale). West end has inscription plaque: 'ULLENHALL CHAPEL .../CONSECRATED BY THE/ BISHOP OF WORCESTER/ ... 1875'. Forms a group with Old Chapel Cottages, Chapel Lane (qv). (The Buildings of England: Pevsner N and Wedgwood A: Warwickshire: Harmondsworth: 1966-1990: 437; Bushell N: Ancient Ullenhall: 1989-: 13).







Listing NGR: SP1306867585

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
482877
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Bushell, N, Ancient Ullenhall, (1989), 13
Pevsner, N, Wedgwood, A, The Buildings of England: Warwickshire, (1966), 437

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 23 Dec 2004
Reference: IOE01/13638/12
Rights: Copyright IoE Helmut Schulenburg. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].