This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.


List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.


List entry Number: 1382591



The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Warwickshire

District: Stratford-on-Avon

District Type: District Authority

Parish: Ettington

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 05-Apr-1967

Date of most recent amendment: 27-Apr-2000

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 482975

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.



SP25SE 1912-1/3/77 05/04/67

WARWICK ROAD (A 429) (East side (off)) Thornton Manor (Formerly Listed as: ETTINGTON Thornton Farmhouse)


Farmhouse. Mid C16 with c1658 alterations and additions and C20 restorations. Coursed limestone rubble with ashlar dressings; steeply pitched roof with stone slate to front and left pitches and machine tile to rear, and stone ridge and lateral stacks. E-plan. EXTERIOR: 2 storeys; 5-window range. Gabled cross-wings, that to left projecting to rear, with extension, and gabled porch wing, the entrance replaced by one to left; large external stack to re-entrant angle of right wing. To left of centre a mid C17 Tudor-headed entrance in chamfered reveals has studded plank door with enriched strap hinges and stone-slate pentice. Recessed-chamfered-mullioned windows with labelmoulds; ground floor has 2- plus 2-light window to each wing, and 3-light window to centre in place of entrance and to right of centre; 1st floor has 3-light windows; 3-light attic windows to wings, and 2-light attic window to porch; windows to right of centre have altered labelmoulds, no label to that over entrance; left wing has pair of small round-headed lights with chamfered arches to 1st floor right return. Left return has large external stack to right end, with offsets and renewed string course, cornice and small light; ground floor has 3-light and 4-lights windows and signs of blocked window next to stack; 1st floor has 2-light and 4-light windows; 2 gabled roof dormers with 2-light leaded casements; possible blocked entrance between windows; axial stack to junction between roofs. Extension has entrance at right end with heavy frame to 6-panel (2 glazed) door; 2 2-light windows and 3-light window to ground floor and 3-light half-dormer. Right return has 2-light ovolo-mullioned stair window has 3-light window to right with 4-light window above. Rear has gable to left with 3-light ground floor window, and signs of blocked windows to 1st floor and attic; signs of raised eaves; large lateral stack to left of 2-storey flat-roofed projection with 3-light C20 window to 1st floor, and large 3-light window to right with 2-light window above, no labelmoulds. Return of projecting wing has 3-light windows flanking inserted C20 window, lateral stack with lean-to projection to front and 2-light window and 3-light window to right; 1st floor with 2-light window to each end, that to left is probably C20. End has brick gable and inserted C20 window with casement to each floor. INTERIOR: central room has moulded stop-chamfered spine beam with similar cross-beam; stop-chamfered joists; ashlar fireplace with moulded Tudor arch in architrave and date 1411 to right jamb. Room to left wing has chamfered beam and stop-chamfered joists; stop-chamfered bressumer to ashlar fireplace with benches flanking inserted stone chimneybreast and light. Room to right wing has large stop-chamfered beam and ashlar fireplace with moulded 4-centred arch; 4-panel door with HL-hinges. Dog-leg staircase to rear has probably re-used splat balusters with wavy contours. Rear wing has former kitchen with chamfered spine beam and cross-beam and large stone fireplace with moulded bressumer labelmould. 1st floor recorded as having probably re-set ashlar fireplace; main door reputedly to be from Warwick Gaol. The house is on or near the site of the deserted village of Thornton. (Victoria County Histories: Victoria History of the County of Warwick: London: 1949-: 77-84).

Listing NGR: SP2744750336

Selected Sources

Books and journals
The Victoria History of the County of Warwickshire , (1949), 77-84

National Grid Reference: SP2744750336


© Crown Copyright and database right 2017. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2017. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1382591 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 20-Sep-2017 at 07:31:23.

End of official listing