CHURCH OF ST JAMES

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
I
List Entry Number:
1382595
Date first listed:
05-Apr-1967
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST JAMES, DORSINGTON ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST JAMES
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1382595.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 23-Feb-2020 at 21:02:21.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST JAMES, DORSINGTON ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Warwickshire
District:
Stratford-on-Avon (District Authority)
Parish:
Long Marston
National Grid Reference:
SP 15275 48120

Details

LONG MARSTON

SP1548 DORSINGTON ROAD 1912-1/13/85 (South side) 05/04/67 Church of St James

GV I

Church. C14 nave and chancel, with C16 porch and restored C16 bell turret. Narrow coursed limestone rubble with ashlar dressings; graduated stone slate roof; timber-framed porch and bell turret. PLAN: 2-bay chancel, 3-bay nave with south porch and west bell turret. EXTERIOR: coped stone gables. Chancel has offset diagonal and angle buttresses flanking 3-light window with Perpendicular tracery; coped gable with cross. North side has 2 windows of 2 traceried lights flanking round-headed priest's entrance with plain surround with beading, enriched imposts and fielded-panel key block, plank door; south side has similar windows. Nave has alternately wide and narrow courses of stone. North side has offset buttress to left of gabled porch. Porch with close-studded framing on limestone plinth; entrance with renewed spandrels to 3-centred head and renewed plank door with strap hinges, 3-light windows to returns. 2 single-chamfered traceried nave windows of 2 lights. South side has some patches of ashlar; 4 offset buttresses, that to west on plinth, that to east is diagonal; small 2-light window to west and 2 larger 2-light windows with C14 tracery and hoods; scratch dial to east end. West end has 2 tall offset buttresses and lower angle buttresses; 2-light single-chamfered traceried window; bell turret has close-studded framing and saddleback roof; 3-light louvred bell openings and weather cock. Nave has short east return to north with wall monument to Mary Tomes, d.1751: worn slab with tapering pilasters, entablature with pulvinated frieze and pediment. INTERIOR: chancel has tie beam and collar roof with arch-braced queen posts and wind braces; segmental-headed piscina recess with remains of projecting bowl; rebated chancel arch with continuous chamfer. Nave has collar rafter roof with ashlaring; plastered timber-framed partition wall to west end has exposed close studding over 2 tall timber posts to centre, forming open space below bell turret which has battened panelling to returns with plank doors and high opening to south with turned balusters. FITTINGS: chancel has C19 altar rail and candelabra, plain stalls; nave has early C17 pulpit with enriched round-headed panels; plain C19 stalls with candelabra; circular font on traceried base; ex-situ stone altar slab on 4 tapering supports; porch has roof with wind braces and one arch-braced collar truss, plain rebated inner door and stone benches. MONUMENTS: chancel has 3 brass plates on north wall: Joan, Dorothea and Elizabeth Cooper, d.1658, 1650 and 1657, floor slab to Richard Day, d.1697, with scrolly frame and armorial bearing; porch has floor slab to Elizabeth Goodin, d.1732. Stained glass: chancel east window has medieval fragments, small C19 roundels to other chancel windows. An attractive church in good setting and an unusual timber-framed bell turret. (Buildings of England: Pevsner N: Warwickshire: Harmondsworth: 1966-: 344; Buildings of England: N.Pevsner: Staffordshire: London: 1974-: 125).



Listing NGR: SP1526948119

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
482979
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N, Wedgwood, A, The Buildings of England: Warwickshire, (1966), 344
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: Staffordshire, (1974), 125

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 27 Aug 2004
Reference: IOE01/13223/23
Rights: Copyright IoE Helmut Schulenburg. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].