CHURCH OF ST MARY
- Heritage Category:
- Listed Building
- List Entry Number:
- Date first listed:
- Statutory Address:
- CHURCH OF ST MARY
The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1382639.pdf
The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.
This copy shows the entry on 28-Feb-2020 at 06:36:04.
- Statutory Address:
- CHURCH OF ST MARY
The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.
- Stratford-on-Avon (District Authority)
- Preston on Stour
- National Grid Reference:
- SP 20337 49935
PRESTON ON STOUR
SP2049 Church of St Mary 1912-1/12/130 05/04/67
Church. South wall of nave is medieval of different builds; late C15 tower; chancel rebuilt from 1753, west entrance and window 1756, north wall of nave and nave south windows and parapet 1757, by Edward and Thomas Woodward of Chipping Campden for James West of Alscot Park. MATERIALS: limestone ashlar and coursed limestone rubble; slate roofs. STYLE: Gothic Revival. PLAN: chancel, nave and west tower. EXTERIOR: chancel has plain plinth and cornice with coped parapet with small crocketed pinnacles. 3-light east window with hoodmould over C14-style tracery; 3-light north and south windows have C15-style tracery, that to north over pointed entrance with studded door; some C18 wall tablets. 2-bay nave has ashlar north wall, coursed rubble south wall, coped parapet with pinnacles as chancel; 3-light windows with C14-style tracery; jamb to former window and small high blocked window visible to south side; wall tablet to north side. 3-stage tower has plinth, string courses, and top cornice, crenellated parapet with continuous roll moulding and pinnacles; diagonal buttresses. Giant arch to west has pointed entrance with coved jambs and paired studded doors with 3-light window above; 2-light Y-tracery bell openings with hoods; segmental-pointed south entrance up steps. INTERIOR: chancel walls have dado panelling with pointed trefoil panels below plaster panels, rectangular to east and of 3 ogee arches to west; rich cornice with egg-and-dart and fluting; moulded architraves to windows, that to east with egg-and-dart mouldings; plaster segmental vault with moulded ribs and bosses. Segmental chancel arch has painted panels and C19/C20 memorial tablets. Nave has C15 roof with moulded members and rosettes; tall tower arch mostly hidden by gallery. FITTINGS: chancel has stalls by Phillips and Shakespear, 1754, with panelling as dado, that to west with enriched iron cresting and similar gates and piers by Phillips, 1755; altar table with enriched brackets; 1910 altar rail has shield panels. Nave has plain pews with iron lamp standards; pulpit probably C20 with linenfold panelling; 1895 free-standing organ to south side; C18 baluster font with shallow bowl and gadrooning; gallery, by Salmon of Stratford, on 2 fielded-panelled posts with small late C20 rooms beneath ends, entablature and fielded-panelled gallery front with C17 relief carving of Royal arms; Creed, Commandment and Lord's Prayer boards to south wall have enriched architraves; late C20 crucifix to north wall. Gallery has 4 hatchments to members of the West family, 1799-1882. MEMORIALS: chancel has memorials to the Marriett and West families to north and south walls including Thomas Steavens, d.1759, coloured marble and profile medallion; James West, d.1797, by Sir Richard Westmacott, Grecian with standing mourner; James West, d.1838, by R Westmacott Jnr, Grecian style with figures of Faith and Hope. Sir Nicholas Kemp, d.1624 and his 2 wives, said to have been brought from St Mary's Chapel, Islington, by the patron: bracketed shelf with kneeling figures, of front-facing man in armour with flanking women in profile, 4 Corinthian columns of touch; entablature with armorial bearing and cherubs holding skulls. STAINED GLASS: brought to church by the patron; west window has early C16 pieces, mostly armorial bearings; chancel east window has many C17 Flemish or German panels of Biblical scenes etc in setting dated 1754, with central c1910 panel of Christ in Majesty; chancel north and south windows have c1760 figures and heads in decorative setting. Wall painting: 2 c1910 panels of the Annunciation flank east window. A church important for its early Gothic Revival style and fittings; `remarkable as one of the earliest churches of the Gothic Revival' (Colvin). (Buildings of England: Pevsner N: Warwickshire: Harmondsworth: 1966-: 375-6; Victoria County Histories: Victoria History of the County of Gloucestershire: 1968-: 87-9; Bloom JH: A History of Preston-upon-Stour in the County of Gloucestershire: 1896-: 80-93).
Listing NGR: SP2034049936
The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.
- Legacy System number:
- Legacy System:
Books and journals
Bloom, J H, A History of Preston-upon-Stour in the County of Gloucestershire, (1896), 80-93
Page, W, The Victoria History of the County of Gloucester, (1968), 87-89
Pevsner, N, Wedgwood, A, The Buildings of England: Warwickshire, (1966), 375-76
This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.
End of official listing