Heritage Category:
Listed Building
List Entry Number:
Date first listed:
Statutory Address:


Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST PETER
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1382709.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 28-Feb-2020 at 06:09:49.


Statutory Address:

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

Stratford-on-Avon (District Authority)
National Grid Reference:
SP 14570 53990



SP15SW CHURCH BANK 1931-1/3/14 (South side) 02/08/72 Church of St Peter


Church. 1875-6. By F Preedy. Snecked blue lias rubble with sandstone ashlar dressings; tile roof with cresting. PLAN: 2-bay chancel with transepts; 3-bay nave with south-west porch-tower. Offset buttresses and coped gables with crosses. EXTERIOR: chancel has east window of 3 stepped and cusped lancets on sill course, hoods with stops; 2-light north and south windows. North transept has north window of 3 cusped lancets, cusped east light; single-chamfered pointed west entrance. South transept has end stack; south window of 2 single-chamfered lights with cinquefoil over, small light to east over basement entrance, and pointed entrance to west. Nave has windows of 3 and 2 lights between buttresses, with Geometrical and intersecting tracery; 4-light west window with trefoil-headed light over and angle buttress to left. 3-stage tower has angle buttresses, string courses and top corbelled cornice with gargoyles and parapet with pierced tracery. Pointed south entrance arch with continuous moulding and east and west lancets, canted stair turret to east; second stage has cusped lancet to south and west; bell-stage has paired pointed bell-openings with stone louvres. INTERIOR: corbelled arch-braced collar roofs, richer to nave. Chancel has shafted east window and credence shelf with shouldered lintel; chancel arch on short corbelled piers; segmental-pointed transept arches die into jambs, south transept vestry and organ loft with trefoil-headed piscina to west. Nave has segmental-pointed tomb recesses to north and south, similar recess to west; porch has single-chamfered inner entrance with paired doors and segmental-pointed stair entrance to east; foundation stone to west. FITTINGS: simple stalls and altar rail; low stone wall supports open traceried chancel screen with rood; timber pulpit on stone base has trefoil arches over foliage panels; restored C15 font with c1640 wooden cover with ogival ribs supporting finial. MONUMENTS: tomb recesses have c1300 and c1320-30 coffin lids with crosses. STAINED GLASS: east window of 1876. 3 windows by Kempe and Tower: 1913 nave north-east window of Nativity incorporating C15 or early C16 shield of Greville Arms; 1909 nave south-west window of Baptism of Christ; 1915 west window commemorating Captain Scott's Antarctic expedition (Lady Scott was the Rector's daughter). (Buildings of England: Pevsner N: Warwickshire: Harmondsworth: 1966-: 96; Victoria County History: Warwickshire: Styles P: London: 1945-: 62).

Listing NGR: SP1457053990


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
Legacy System:


Books and journals
The Victoria History of the County of Warwickshire , (1949)
Pevsner, N, Wedgwood, A, The Buildings of England: Warwickshire, (1966)


This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 01 Aug 2004
Reference: IOE01/12978/18
Rights: Copyright IoE Helmut Schulenburg. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].