CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1382756
Date first listed:
02-Aug-1972
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS, VILLAGE STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1382756.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 20-Feb-2020 at 10:36:47.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS, VILLAGE STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Warwickshire
District:
Stratford-on-Avon (District Authority)
Parish:
Luddington
National Grid Reference:
SP 16707 52499

Details

LUDDINGTON

SP15SE VILLAGE STREET 1931-1/4/64 (South side (off)) 02/08/72 Church of All Saints

GV II

Church. 1871-72. By John Cotton. Coursed blue lias with sandstone ashlar and buff brick dressings; tile roofs. STYLE: Gothic. PLAN: 2-bay chancel and 3-bay nave with north-east angle tower and north porch. EXTERIOR: off-set buttresses and coped gables. Chancel has off-set angle buttresses; brick cornice and sill course; 3-light east window has hood with stops, foundation stone below dated 1871 with cross in circle; 2 traceried lights to north, and one to south next to canted vestry projection with short finial and east entrance with shouldered lintel. Nave has tower to north-east angle with diagonal buttress, cinquefoil to east with dripstone and north lancet; string course and broached octagonal stage with slots; pointed bell-openings and swept slate spire with wind vane; north side has 2-light window and lancet, open timber gabled porch has trefoil-headed lights on low stone walls, enriched front framing and bargeboards with finial; pierced-work inner fascias; inner door has chamfered reveals and double-chamfered arch to paired doors. South side has 2-light window with flanking lancets. West end has diagonal buttresses and lancets flanking tall central buttress. INTERIOR: chancel has coupled rafter roof, recess to organ loft with vestry entrance to left and moulded chancel arch on musical angel corbels, chancel steps with stencilled texts; nave has scissor truss roof. Fittings: plain stalls and pews; stone pulpit with cross and dog-tooth moulding, some remaining paint; font from old church on reused churchyard cross base with octagonal stage on square plinth and quatrefoil frieze. Monuments: brass wall tablets, including one to west wall in cusped arch with marble columns; inscription indecipherable. Stained glass: a good and complete set of c1870 windows. Church replaces one on site to north of village green, believed to have been the place of William Shakespeare's marriage. (Buildings of England: Pevsner N: Warwickshire: Harmondsworth: 1966-: 346; All Saints Church Luddington: Luddington: 1970-1990).





Listing NGR: SP1670752499

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
483142
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N, Wedgwood, A, The Buildings of England: Warwickshire, (1966), 346
'Luddington' in All Saints Church Luddington, (1970-1990)

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 30 Aug 2004
Reference: IOE01/13223/34
Rights: Copyright IoE Helmut Schulenburg. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].