This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.


List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.


List entry Number: 1383027



The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Somerset

District: Mendip

District Type: District Authority

Parish: Wells

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 12-Nov-1953

Date of most recent amendment: 31-May-2000

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 483445

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.



ST5445 MARKET PLACE 662-1/7/164 (West side) 12/11/53 The Market Cross (Formerly Listed as: MARKET STREET The Fountain)


Market cross with fountain. c1797 by Harcourt Masters of Bath. Limestone. Triangular-plan monument in Gothic style with classical base, set in a circular pool. Rusticated base with frosted rustication to corner shafts, the NW and SW faces having pointed-arched recesses with former outlets for water; the E face has a cascade. Ogee-arched openings with flower carvings to architraves to central block above, framed by 5-shafted columns with foliate capitals and surmounted by finials with frosted rustication. Centre section is crowned by a shallow coved cornice with similar flower-type carvings, and frosted rustication finials to corners and to ogee-domed top. Pool is surrounded by wall with chamfered plinth and moulded coping; the pool is breached by a platform on the NW and SW faces. HISTORICAL NOTE: this replaced Bishop Becknynton's conduit which was demolished in 1796, and was gravity fed by a pump house in the garden of the Bishop's Palace (qv). It cost ยป150 to build. (Serel T: The History of Wells, published lecture of 03.05.1858: 1858-).

Listing NGR: ST5499645765

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Serel, T, The History of Wells, (1858)

National Grid Reference: ST 54994 45763


© Crown Copyright and database right 2017. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2017. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1383027 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 17-Oct-2017 at 10:31:56.

End of official listing