RITCHIE HALL

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1383166
Date first listed:
12-Nov-1953
Date of most recent amendment:
31-May-2000
Statutory Address:
RITCHIE HALL, 5, THE LIBERTY

Map

© Crown Copyright and database right 2021. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2021. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1383166.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 17-Jan-2021 at 17:05:30.

Location

Statutory Address:
RITCHIE HALL, 5, THE LIBERTY

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Somerset
District:
Mendip (District Authority)
Parish:
Wells
National Grid Reference:
ST 55046 46078

Details

WELLS

ST5446 THE LIBERTY 662-1/6/301 (North side) 12/11/53 No.5 Ritchie Hall (Formerly Listed as: THE LIBERTY (North side) No.5 (Formerly listed as Cathedral Grammar School, North Liberty))

GV II*

Part of the Wells Cathedral School. 1884, but incorporating fragments of a C12 Canon's Barn. Local stone roughly squared and coursed, with ashlar dressings, Welsh slate roofs with terracotta ridge, coped gables. EXTERIOR: single and 2-storey, in a C15 style, 4 bays. Bay 1 is a projecting hall, with 5-light mullioned and transomd window with hoodmould over, bays 2 and 4, set back, have similar windows. Bay 3 is a deep projecting 2-storey porch, with plinth, parapet string and crenellation; the first floor has two 2-light C15-style traceried windows, and below is the entrance doorway with a moulded arch with label. Above the door a flush stone plaque is inscribed: "SCHOLA/CATHEDRALIS/MDCCCLXXXIV". INTERIOR: in the rear part of the building are 6 square piers with slightly rounded corners, to square chamfered abaci, and on double offset chamfered bases, carrying a heavy square aisle-plate. According to Pevsner documents refer to the Canon's Barn in Bishop Reginald's time, c1175-90, and if these are fragments from that time, they are the earliest secular fabric remaining in the city, and hence of considerable historic interest. (The Buildings of England: Pevsner N: North Somerset and Bristol: London: 1958-: 328).





Listing NGR: ST5504646078

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
483584
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: North Somerset and Bristol, (1958), 328

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].